Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 25th, 2005, 3:25pm

Magic LibraryMagic Library HomeHome HelpHelp SearchSearch LoginLogin RegisterRegister NotificationNotification
Magic Library Forum « Help w/ Spanish, Japanese, Chinese, French! »

Magic Library Forum
   Information
   Inquiries
(Moderators: Ralph Herold, hammr7, l0qii)
   Help w/ Spanish, Japanese, Chinese, French!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Help w/ Spanish, Japanese, Chinese, French!  (Read 116 times)
squt

View Profile WWW

Help w/ Spanish, Japanese, Chinese, French!
« on: Jun 20th, 2005, 11:00pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello Everyone-

I'm at it again - looking for new same-name misprints.  Mr C has done a fantastic Job of finding tons of cards in Portuguese that either have the same on DIFFERENT cards, like Dragon Engine (4th/5th/6th Edition)/Clockwork Dragon (Mirrodin): Both translated as 'Dragão Mecânico'
OR
the same card given DIFFERENT names in reprints, like 'Duress': 'Coergir' in Urza´s Saga and 'Coerção' in 7th Edition.

Mr C has found over 15 cases where this kind of mistake happened in Portuguese.  With the help of members of this forum, I've found half a dozen cases like this in German, Italian, and a few in French, but I've only found 3 cases like this in Japanese (most recently with the two deceivers printed with the same name in CoK), and none in Spanish or Chinese.  

This seems to be a fairly common mistake, and I have a hard time believing that the mistake just hasn't been made in these languages.

If there are any Spanish, Japanese, or Chinese speaking members out there who know of this sort of sillyness, please drop me a line!

Squt
IP Logged
Tanwo

View Profile

Re: Help w/ Spanish, Japanese, Chinese, French!
« Reply #1 on: Jun 21st, 2005, 11:25am »

The only error that I know in Spanish is that the Urza's Destiny Plow Under is called "Arado Profundo" and the 8th Edition one "Enterrar".
IP Logged
squt

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: Jun 22nd, 2005, 5:14pm »

That's perfect Tanwo!  that's one I didn't know about.

Don't suppose you might be able to get your hands on one of each for me?  I'd trade handsomely for 'em.

squt
IP Logged
Gryfalia

Ex Level-3 Judge with an attitude

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jun 22nd, 2005, 5:50pm »

I forced my wife to help me check the translations of lots of French Tempest.  Found nothing interesting, and she was getting close to killing me, so I stopped the exercise..Wink

Gryfalia
IP Logged
Tanwo

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jun 22nd, 2005, 8:14pm »

on Jun 22nd, 2005, 5:14pm, squt wrote:
That's perfect Tanwo!  that's one I didn't know about.

Don't suppose you might be able to get your hands on one of each for me?  I'd trade handsomely for 'em.

squt

Sorry, but I only know a friend that has one (from 8th) and he doesn't want to trade it. If you are interested, I can ask him to scan it.
If I get one I'll let you know.
IP Logged
flatmatt

It's a Bear!

View Profile WWW

Re: Help w/ Spanish, Japanese, Chinese, French
« Reply #5 on: Jun 23rd, 2005, 7:15am »

Well, it's not one of the languages specified, so you might already have this, but French Portal Grizzly Bears is named "Grizzli," all others are named "Grizzlis."

And while we're at it, that black-bordered Revised Grizzly Bears has the wrong creature type; it should say "ours".

More images:
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~sestakm/bears/scans-fr.html

And of course you know about the German Ice Age Pale Bears.
« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2005, 7:19am by flatmatt » IP Logged

It's a Bear! - My Bear collection - Website now faster!
MOTL H/W List
dragsamou

Help Me Finish My Magic Rarities Collection

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jun 23rd, 2005, 7:23am »

on Jun 23rd, 2005, 7:15am, flatmatt wrote:
Well, it's not one of the languages specified, so you might already have this, but French Portal Grizzly Bears is named "Grizzli," all others are named "Grizzlis."

And while we're at it, that black-bordered Revised Grizzly Bears has the wrong creature type; it should say "ours".

More images:
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~sestakm/bears/scans-fr.html

And of course you know about the German Ice Age Pale Bears.

Hi Flatmatt.
The Portal French Bear is named Grizzli without an "S" and it's normal as there's Only one bear on the Pic.
But,since,you have 2 Bears on the other Pic,you have to add an "S".It's what we called French Grammar  Smiley
IP Logged

http://magiclibrary.net/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=trading-promos;action=display;num=1107104379
http://magiclibrary.net/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=trading-promos;action=display;num=1107106308
flatmatt

It's a Bear!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: Jun 23rd, 2005, 7:29am »

on Jun 23rd, 2005, 7:23am, dragsamou wrote:

Hi Flatmatt.
The Portal French Bear is named Grizzli without an "S" and it's normal as there's Only one bear on the Pic.
But,since,you have 2 Bears on the other Pic,you have to add an "S".It's what we called French Grammar  Smiley

But it's the same card.  It's still plural in English, even though there's only one Bear depicted.  It may make sense within the context of the card, but it's still the same card printed with two different names.
« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2005, 7:29am by flatmatt » IP Logged

It's a Bear! - My Bear collection - Website now faster!
MOTL H/W List
squt

View Profile WWW

« Reply #8 on: Jun 23rd, 2005, 4:42pm »

Hey Flatmatt-

That's one I did NOT know about, and I certainly consider it to be TWO misprints, as 1) Magic rules are pretty strict about cards having the exact same name and 2) creature type didn't change in any other language between sets.

Thanks for the heads-up...this is great.

Squt
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Magic Library Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.