Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 12th, 2006, 7:32am

Magic LibraryMagic Library HomeHome HelpHelp SearchSearch LoginLogin RegisterRegister NotificationNotification
Magic Library Forum « Identifying fake anc. recalls »

Magic Library Forum
   Archive (no new threads please)
   Card Structure and Integrity
(Moderators: Ralph Herold, l0qii, dragsamou)
   Identifying fake anc. recalls
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Identifying fake anc. recalls  (Read 470 times)
GrosBlob

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

Identifying fake anc. recalls
« on: Nov 17th, 2003, 9:59pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi members !

I'm new here, but I started to read this forum more than one year ago(old forum), and this site is very useful for me. But since I'm not a big MTG Collector, I didn't saw any special interest in registering here.

I don't know if it's the right forum to post this, if I can post this here, but I want to be sure.

Now, let's start my topic.

Please check these scans of my 3 Ancestral Recalls.

- http://www.magic-bizness.fr.st/pic2/

I think the Recall 3.2 may be a fake Ancestral Recall. Why ? Because of the name, different(letters "A", "ll" larger) from the name of my 2 other Ancestral Recalls. But when you look at the "part of back" scans, it seems they have similar "print rounds" Huh!

Please tell me if all my Ancestrals are real Wink !

Thanks for your time !

Regards,
Xavier
« Last Edit: Mar 2nd, 2004, 11:22pm by AXIOS » IP Logged
mintcollector

Expert Champion

View Profile WWW

Re: 3 Ancestral Recalls, one is a fake(?!)
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18th, 2003, 12:17am »

The font size of the card title does seem to be larger in your second picture.  Assuming you scanned and zoomed in at the same resolution levels, the second card is about 33.33% bigger in font size compared to the other 2.  I am assuming you ruled out simple tests like holding the card up to visible light to check for light highlighting through the card stock.  Also the card stock's weight, look, and feel pass.  Do you happen to have a Unlimited Animate Artifact or Air Elemental to compare card fonts against?  All Blue Unlimited cards should have the same capital A's and you should be able to see l's, n's, and such in comparison.  Comparing other cards to check font should quickly pick up a fake if differences do indeed exist.
IP Logged

See my current needs here: http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/mintcollector/
GrosBlob

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Nov 18th, 2003, 7:18pm »

Hi mintcollector, thanks for your help Smiley !

So yes, the scans with same name(like 3.2 name/3.1 name) are in same resolution.

I also made bend tests, light test with the 3rd Ancestral who's in the same condition(maybe noticed a small difference, but since I'm not an expert)...

But with the highest resolution scans, I think the rounds are different from the 2 other Ancestral Recalls.

I sended the scans to the guy who sold me this "maybe fake" Recall(and who was also the owner of the 3rd one too, some time ago), and he was thinking it's a real card.

Now I will check out some friends's cards next week to see if I can compare the "A" with Animate or Air Elemental, thanks for the tip !

By the way if any of you could tell me if with this scans we can be sure if it's a real or fake tral, that would helps me Smiley !

Thanks !
IP Logged
mintcollector

Expert Champion

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: Nov 18th, 2003, 7:45pm »

It has been my experience that closup scan of older cards have those little "circles" that make up the overal image.  Fakes typically do not copy the circles over very well.  Card #2 does seem slightly suspect to not having the circles defined very well, especially on the front.  These cirecles use differing ink shades and placement to give the illusion of the circle to the human eye.  Fakes usually don't capture this effect very well, if at all.  I am not saying this is definitely a fake though.  I have only heard of this circle theory and have not used it personally very much.  This is why I neglected to mention this before.

IP Logged

See my current needs here: http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/mintcollector/
l0qii

Give me arctic circle candy!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: Nov 19th, 2003, 6:58am »

The font does appear wider, but not taller, than on the other 2, but it's possibly for this to happen on a real card. When the blue border is printed, white space is left where the letters in the card name go. The letter are then printed on top of that, lined up as closely as possible. But it's hardly ever perfect. Usually it ends up slightly off center, leaving a white haze to one side of all the letters.

If the haze is on the right, it's next to the black drop shadow, and your eye doesn't really notice it, but if the haze is on the left, your eye will see it as part of the letter itself, making the letters appear slightly wider. It's a trick of the eye.

If you look at scan 1 and 3 of the card name, you can see this haze to the right and bottom of all the letters, but in scan 2 you can see it on the left and bottom. This explains the difference.

This doesn't mean it's not a fake, but I wouldn't make a judgement based on differences in font width like this. To me these scans all look legit.
IP Logged

Magic the Gathering Stuff
Price Looker-Upper:Guide to Fake Cards:Vintage Ad Gallery
Looking for scans of any mtg ads! HELP!
Thrond

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: Nov 20th, 2003, 2:27pm »

I0qii said right. The font is a little bid off-centered. The font looks like being wider, because the printing was off-centered of exactly one pixel (or dot, ore point, or whatever you want).

I zoomed in three more times your scans, and it appears clearly.  

I also checked the placement and alignment of ink dots on each card, rotating the scans, and they are clearly identical.

I've got exactly the same effect on one of my Beta Taiga, which I know is not a fake, since I found her in a sealed booster.
IP Logged

Misprinted, miscuted and artist proof lands collector!
Tenacious_Dyl

Old Cards Rock

ThoughtsForEatin
View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Nov 20th, 2003, 10:25pm »

Yeah, those older cards sometimes have variants like that. I have a few beta and alpha cards in duplicates that are slightly different. Unlimited, and Arabian Nights for that matter too. Smiley I doubt it is a fake. But with such a card, it is possible.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Magic Library Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.