Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 12th, 2006, 6:39am

Magic LibraryMagic Library HomeHome HelpHelp SearchSearch LoginLogin RegisterRegister NotificationNotification
Magic Library Forum « vintage collectors »

Magic Library Forum
   Archive (no new threads please)
   Searching, Buying, Paying, Shipping, Storing
(Moderators: Ralph Herold, l0qii, dragsamou)
   vintage collectors
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: vintage collectors  (Read 448 times)
l0qii

Give me arctic circle candy!

View Profile WWW

Re: vintage collectors
« Reply #15 on: Oct 24th, 2004, 1:56am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'd be more than willing to help out with parts of the site, and even fold in my vintage ad gallery. If there's enough traffic and you need additional forum mods, I'd be willing to help out there too.

We could discuss here all day whether FE should be included or not. I suggest you NOT include it to start with, and let that fuel your forums for a while Smiley
IP Logged

Magic the Gathering Stuff
Price Looker-Upper:Guide to Fake Cards:Vintage Ad Gallery
Looking for scans of any mtg ads! HELP!
sylvanstu

Amoung the darkest ashes grows the strongest seeds

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Oct 24th, 2004, 2:03am »

on Oct 24th, 2004, 1:56am, l0qii wrote:
I'd be more than willing to help out with parts of the site, and even fold in my vintage ad gallery. If there's enough traffic and you need additional forum mods, I'd be willing to help out there too.

We could discuss here all day whether FE should be included or not. I suggest you NOT include it to start with, and let that fuel your forums for a while Smiley

That was my thought it would bring people back to see what we decide or to debate thier side  
IP Logged

Collector of one of each Armageddon printed.
srljstr

thatcatthat

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Oct 24th, 2004, 6:25am »

on Oct 23rd, 2004, 6:31pm, Siddhartha wrote:
srljstr: if you take another look you'll find that I have defined vintage as 93-94 sets (with the possible exception of FE). Although I'm sure there are some great cards in all the other sets you mention, I don't know anything about them. Once again, the playability of cards is not really something I give a lot of thought to--I'm a collector.

I would like your further thoughts on what it means for the site to be "strictly monitored". . .I guess you mean the forums? I have no idea how the mana drain operates, having just heard of it. I will of course monitor the forums, and if they become successful, appoint moderators who can help keep things running smoothly. . .is that strict monitoring?

Regarding Fallen Empires, I'm going to take sylanstu's advice and let the first members hash out whether it should be included.

I did notice your definition, I was unsure about the objective of the site. Given the slant towards collecting, it makes more sense now. I thought perhaps you were looking to highlight that period in Vintage history and the decks that were played, inasmuch as there was a general 'metagame' at a time when there was no internet feeding this game, or using it as a 'from then to now' looking glass. I understand your view perfectly now.

I think you do include Fallen Empires, as much as people hate it, it was the first 'tribe' centered set, and the development of it was very much in the same spirit as sets prior to it, it has the feel in design that the first few sets have, an unmistakeable entrancement with possibility. I wouldn't add something like Homelands, but I'd add Fallen Empires.

On the strict monitoring thing, what I mean is that The Mana Drain has a level of standards that they deem as worthy of the site. They want each post to contribute something, either in reaffirming standard benchmarks of the game or displaying innovation or lateral thinking. Posts and threads which detract from the overall character of the site are cracked down on swiftly and not tolerated. Sometimes they are a little too zealous, but the majority of the time they do what they should be doing, and keep the content relevant. That's what I believe is necessary to keeping a niche site potent and focused. As another example look at this site, you don't see breakdowns of Type 2 matchups or discussion of worthy tech in the Sunburst vs. Memnarch Control matchup, you see discussion of rarities and collectors' issues, with small deviations here and there but with a general adherence to the theme and function of the board/site.
IP Logged
Siddhartha

mmmm. . .vintage

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Oct 26th, 2004, 5:49am »

A three-point post--

1. It's official; the site will be going forward. Thanks to everyone who's spoken to me, publicly and privately, for your time and your thoughts. I hope to have the site live by the middle of November.

2. Fallen Empires will not initially be included on the site, but I will encourage debate on the subject.

3. Ralph Herold has suggested to me that calling this a "vintage" site may not be precise, as the term often applies to a specific tournament format. Agree/disagree? If anyone can suggest a term other than vintage that describes "old magic cards," please share.

-Pete
IP Logged
sylvanstu

Amoung the darkest ashes grows the strongest seeds

View Profile

« Reply #19 on: Oct 26th, 2004, 5:58am »

I think "OLD SCHOOL MAGIC 94 and before" sounds cool
IP Logged

Collector of one of each Armageddon printed.
Siddhartha

mmmm. . .vintage

View Profile

« Reply #20 on: Oct 26th, 2004, 6:57am »

::smacks forehead::

!
IP Logged
tah

Home of Cyan Homelands a.k.a Finland

View Profile

« Reply #21 on: Oct 26th, 2004, 10:45am »

on Oct 23rd, 2004, 5:50pm, srljstr wrote:
My collection tends to resemble what is ultimately playable and or techy in Vintage. Basically if it's playable, or has potential to be playable I collect it, in foil playsets ultimately. I can build any Vintage deck you post,

T1 Battle of Witts  Roll Eyes Most expensive deck ever  
IP Logged

Noli turbare circulos meos.

And no, we do NOT have polar Bears in Finland
gzeiger

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #22 on: Nov 1st, 2004, 12:49am »

I think FE should be included because there are three primary areas that this site could address that are not already adequately covered elsewhere:

1) Historical deck information. It's often difficult to find old decklists, and a site that could compile outdated lists, either from memorable articles or from the early professional events, would be very interesting. Since FE was the last set released into a Type 1-only world, it seems a logical cutoff point.

2) Cool old articles. Early Baxter and Weissman articles, and a few others whose names are nearly lost in the mists of time, are difficult to dig up but remain good reads. Magic writing was just beginning to pick up around the time FE came out. One could argue with some cause that this is one of the main indicators of the end of the vintage period, but there is a lot of good information that came out of the time immediately following, and this information is relatively obscure (ie you would be offering a unique and important service that is not replicated elsewhere online).

3) Development information. Garfield stories and anecdotes about how a card got its name are always fun, and FE, for all it lacks in other areas, was certainly full of flavor.
IP Logged
Siddhartha

mmmm. . .vintage

View Profile

« Reply #23 on: Nov 8th, 2004, 10:45pm »

I'm happy to announce that the site is up and running. Informational content is still a week or two from completion, but the forums are active and open to registration.

Thanks once more to everyone who's gotten involved. In addition to this thread I've been privileged to speak privately with several members who have a strong interest in this topic. Your help at this early stage has very much aided the development of the site.

The site can be found at http://www.ancestralrecall.com.

-Pete

(You may now resume discussing Tara Reid's boob job. Wink )
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Magic Library Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.