Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 12th, 2006, 7:30am

Magic LibraryMagic Library HomeHome HelpHelp SearchSearch LoginLogin RegisterRegister NotificationNotification
Magic Library Forum « Summer Magic Pack as a Prize »

Magic Library Forum
   Archive (no new threads please)
   Magic Industry Information
(Moderators: Ralph Herold, l0qii, dragsamou)
   Summer Magic Pack as a Prize
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Summer Magic Pack as a Prize  (Read 214 times)
rick21n

Ornithopter Collector

rick21n
View Profile

Summer Magic Pack as a Prize
« on: Dec 9th, 2004, 2:14am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

OK so out of the blue I was looking at info for upcoming Grand Prix Tournaments.  Initially just GP Boston as that is the closest to me.  For some reason I continued on to look at GP Seattle.  At the bottom of the page is the following paragraph of interesting information.

SIDE EVENTS
Side events at Grand Prix–Seattle include a Pro Tour–Philadelphia Qualifier, a 2005 Junior Super Series Challenge, a Standard tournament with a Prize of an Ultra Rare pack of Summer Magic, plus many others.

LINKY TO PAGE

So anybody headed to Seattle?

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=grandprix/seattle05/facts
IP Logged
Celebrindor

328665940 328665940   van8888   van88888888
View Profile WWW

Re: Summer Magic Pack as a Prize
« Reply #1 on: Dec 9th, 2004, 2:44am »

on Dec 9th, 2004, 2:14am, rick21n wrote:
OK so out of the blue I was looking at info for upcoming Grand Prix Tournaments.  Initially just GP Boston as that is the closest to me.  For some reason I continued on to look at GP Seattle.  At the bottom of the page is the following paragraph of interesting information.

SIDE EVENTS
Side events at Grand Prix–Seattle include a Pro Tour–Philadelphia Qualifier, a 2005 Junior Super Series Challenge, a Standard tournament with a Prize of an Ultra Rare pack of Summer Magic, plus many others.

LINKY TO PAGE

So anybody headed to Seattle?

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=grandprix/seattle05/facts

The very fact that they know without a doubt that it is a summer pack means that it came from a box, which came from a case, which means they *do* have a lot of it squirreled away somewhere.....
IP Logged

As of the 21st, i've been here for 1 year! yay!
dry_cereal

donate crimps for the cause

294706841 294706841   feedmecakes   feedmecakes
View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: Dec 9th, 2004, 3:00am »

oooorrrrrr, they got it from the same place everyone else gets em.
IP Logged

The first game of Magic ever was a drunken disaster
alpha fire elemental count = 6
standing offer = $130 for a crimped Summer card
http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/bp43/crimps/crimppg1.htm
AXIOS

CREDENDO VIDES!!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: Dec 9th, 2004, 12:58pm »

strange,
i'm not very known to the big tournaments, but aren't thay all organized by WOTC?

If so, weren't thay always the people claiming that all SUmmer got destroyed?

Now they're giving it away as a prize......sounds indeed fishy to me,
maybe they hold back a case of boxes for future purposes............................
IP Logged

LOVES BIGFATPIMPY!!!!!!!!!
I WANT LOTS OF BOG WRAITHS, PLZ DONATE TO THIS POOR NETHERLANDI
Celebrindor

328665940 328665940   van8888   van88888888
View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: Dec 9th, 2004, 1:05pm »

on Dec 9th, 2004, 12:58pm, AXIOS wrote:
strange,
i'm not very known to the big tournaments, but aren't thay all organized by WOTC?

If so, weren't thay always the people claiming that all SUmmer got destroyed?

Now they're giving it away as a prize......sounds indeed fishy to me,
maybe they hold back a case of boxes for future purposes............................

Time to invade Washington, and get that case Smiley
IP Logged

As of the 21st, i've been here for 1 year! yay!
mintcollector

Expert Champion

View Profile WWW

Re: Summer Magic
« Reply #5 on: Dec 9th, 2004, 4:12pm »

on Dec 9th, 2004, 2:44am, Celebrindor wrote:

The very fact that they know without a doubt that it is a summer pack means that it came from a box, which came from a case, which means they *do* have a lot of it squirreled away somewhere.....

This fact cannot be confirmed by this posting.  For those of you who do not know, WOTC has a bunch of independant retailers/contractors to run their regional events.  In fact these same people typically run all premier events for all game systems, as they have branded themselves as such and are on the "inner circle" so to speak.  The tourney is question is being run by Cascade Games and here is the info on them:
Quote:

Cascade Gaming LLC runs premier tournaments for Wizards of the Coast (Magic:theGathering) in Washington and Oregon, for Upper Deck Entertainment (Yu-Gi-Oh and soon Marvel) in Oregon, Washington and B.C. and for Wizkids in Oregon.

Tim Shields is the managaing partner of Cascade Games LLC. He and his assorted helpers run events for a variety of game companies in several states. Tim has owned a couple stores, worked for several companies and now wants to take a break and play some magic.

Jay Schneider is the Secondary Events Organizer and Judge Manager for Cascade Games LLC. He is an renowned MTG deck designer and author and a Level II Judge.

Chris Brown has joined Cascade Games and is helping with a variety of logistical issues.

If you'd like to contact us please e-mail:
[email protected]

The reason I know this to be true is that an organization called Flying Circus does all Chicagoland events.  They are employed through the local tourney organizer.  I know as due to my work in the past running Wizkids events for this same organizer, I was approached to work as an events manager in my spare time flying around the country, overseeing event management.  The problem is my life does not permit me to dedicate the time needed for such an endeavour, but I do like to stay close on the sidelines as you tend to hear quite a few tasty facts from time to time.  

The main point here is that WOTC has Cascade Games running this event, and it is Cascade Games and not WOTC who is providing the Summer pack.  

Now what I do find odd is that WOTC is allowing a prize to be provided when there supposedly was the destroy order on all such product.  This in itself seems bothersome that WOTC is now lax on this topic.  It just goes to show you that WOTC will pick and choose their battles.  They might come down on someone hard for copyright infringement or early possession or selling of premier items, but yet they turn a blind eye to the inner circle.
« Last Edit: Dec 9th, 2004, 4:14pm by mintcollector » IP Logged

See my current needs here: http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/mintcollector/
motorcitymagic

Voted Best-loved Forum Member of 2004.

motorcitymagic  
View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: Dec 9th, 2004, 7:01pm »

Oftentimes, an established online shop or store will sponsor the side tournament by providing the prize(s).  Cascade Games may be running the event, but we'll have to wait for the GP Seattle to be updated with a full tournament schedule in order to know who is providing the pack.
IP Logged

MTG Archive - a free online encyclopedia devoted to Magic
gzeiger

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Dec 11th, 2004, 10:08pm »

That pack is being offered at a side event run by the local Premier TO. He personally purchased it privately. It is not coming from Wizards' secret vault.

I don't have much more information than that, but I judge for him sometimes here in Seattle and have some contact.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Magic Library Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.