Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Feb 18th, 2006, 1:58pm

Magic LibraryMagic Library HomeHome HelpHelp SearchSearch LoginLogin RegisterRegister NotificationNotification
Magic Library Forum « What things other than M:TG do people collect? »

Magic Library Forum
   Archive (no new threads please)
   Member Information
(Moderators: Ralph Herold, l0qii, dragsamou)
   What things other than M:TG do people collect?
« Previous topic | No topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: What things other than M:TG do people collect?  (Read 840 times)
Tenacious_Dyl

Old Cards Rock

ThoughtsForEatin
View Profile

Re: What things other than M:TG do people collect?
« Reply #15 on: Nov 26th, 2003, 12:18am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Collect anything "old" or "ancient"... legitimate stuff. Not antique store crap.  

Ex: I have a coin that dates to around 1640, from a small division of spain, very rare Smiley

Also have some Maori (Native People of New Zealand) Carvings, and some Soapstone Carvings of Spirits from Belize.

I am looking into getting some nice old  Chinese wood carvings or tapestries... expensive though.

Also collect foreign money, but in a very casual manner. I have a lot of money from the old "East Africa" and the "CCCP"... not very valuable, but still cool Smiley
IP Logged
dragsamou

Help Me Finish My Magic Rarities Collection

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Nov 26th, 2003, 8:12am »

on Nov 26th, 2003, 12:18am, Tenacious_Dyl wrote:
Collect anything "old" or "ancient"... legitimate stuff. Not antique store crap.  

Also collect foreign money, but in a very casual manner. I have a lot of money from the old "East Africa" and the "CCCP"... not very valuable, but still cool Smiley

Hi Tenacious_Dyl
If you collect Foreign Banknotes,I could probably help you,since I have a lot(One of my Minor Collections).
Let me know.
IP Logged

http://magiclibrary.net/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=trading-promos;action=display;num=1107104379
http://magiclibrary.net/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=trading-promos;action=display;num=1107106308
Lord_of_Llanowar

Let me know if you have misprinted Elves!

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Nov 26th, 2003, 8:46pm »

I collect
Shells
Stones
Fossiles
Coins.
Swords
Daggers
Smurfs
Statues of pigs Cheesy
and probably some more things not coming to my mind right now.
as a kid i was far worse
and collected rubber bands, price cards, ALL stones(just  about every stone i saw Cheesy) and much more things i could get much off for free Cheesy

oh yeah, talking about albums and cd`s
I know a guy who collects those, and cause he has very valuable cd`s he even put a insurance on that collection
he has cd`s worth up to 20.000 euros :S

« Last Edit: Nov 26th, 2003, 8:48pm by Lord_of_Llanowar » IP Logged
Tenacious_Dyl

Old Cards Rock

ThoughtsForEatin
View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Nov 26th, 2003, 10:49pm »

Dragsamou:

Ooooo I like it. Another "to the side" collector. I have put maybe no more than 50-100 dollars on any one item. But perhaps.. (not quite yet, I need to save some money)... but.. in the future, I am very interested in Paper Money. (Especially from Countries no longer in existance!)  

We will talk some later? I think so Smiley

Thanks,
Dylan I.
IP Logged
dry_cereal

donate crimps for the cause

294706841 294706841   feedmecakes   feedmecakes
View Profile WWW

« Reply #19 on: Nov 27th, 2003, 4:23am »

Wow, I just got that fvzappa has something to do with frank zappa.   Embarassed Nice quote, you never ceise to amaze me.  

Yeah, lets do a lil trading.  I can get you a bunch of less rare beatles, grateful dead, zappa records and  the such.  I live in the middle of hippie-haven (Ithaca NY).  

Land:  Hippie-haven
tap: add soymilk to your manapool

anyway, until next time...
Keep on truckin

IP Logged

The first game of Magic ever was a drunken disaster
alpha fire elemental count = 6
standing offer = $130 for a crimped Summer card
http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/bp43/crimps/crimppg1.htm
Erl00

MINT is MINT!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #20 on: Nov 29th, 2003, 2:04am »

I used to have a collection of fun erasers. I had more than 500 of them when I was young.
IP Logged

Please help me finish my Boosters collection
dragsamou

Help Me Finish My Magic Rarities Collection

View Profile

« Reply #21 on: Nov 29th, 2003, 8:22am »

on Nov 29th, 2003, 2:04am, Erl00 wrote:
I used to have a collection of fun erasers. I had more than 500 of them when I was young.

Hi Eric.
Do you still have them ?
IP Logged

http://magiclibrary.net/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=trading-promos;action=display;num=1107104379
http://magiclibrary.net/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=trading-promos;action=display;num=1107106308
Erl00

MINT is MINT!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #22 on: Nov 29th, 2003, 3:01pm »

on Nov 29th, 2003, 8:22am, dragsamou wrote:

Hi Eric.
Do you still have them ?

Most of them must be somewhere atr my Mom's house if she did not threw them away ...
IP Logged

TerraFrost

I love phpBB 2.0.15!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #23 on: Dec 4th, 2003, 5:07pm »

for those who collect coins... wanna trade some mtg cards for a 1914-D lincoln cent?  the condition isn't uber great - i would estimate it to be around G-4 - but it is one of the key dates in the lincoln cent series Smiley

also, anyone want to trade some mtg cards for a MS-64 (as graded by ANACS) 1882-CC morgan silver dollar? Smiley
IP Logged

BLACK LOTUS DONATIONS NEEDED!

CURRENT COUNT: 0

Erl00

MINT is MINT!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #24 on: Dec 5th, 2003, 8:39pm »

on Dec 4th, 2003, 5:07pm, TerraFrost wrote:
for those who collect coins... wanna trade some mtg cards for a 1914-D lincoln cent?  the condition isn't uber great - i would estimate it to be around G-4 - but it is one of the key dates in the lincoln cent series Smiley

also, anyone want to trade some mtg cards for a MS-64 (as graded by ANACS) 1882-CC morgan silver dollar? Smiley

I know flaminio is quite keen on coins though I have no idea whether he his looking for this one or not.
IP Logged

mintcollector

Expert Champion

View Profile WWW

« Reply #25 on: Dec 5th, 2003, 9:55pm »

on Dec 5th, 2003, 8:39pm, Erl00 wrote:

I know flaminio is quite keen on coins though I have no idea whether he his looking for this one or not.

I am not a huge coin collecctor anymore, but those coins are relatively "common".  It would be like offering a Rarities collector a plain Serra Angel or something along those lines.  I thought of Bob as well since I recall he is into coins.  He might want to Morgan dollar, but the penny is easy to get.
IP Logged

See my current needs here: http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/mintcollector/
bigfatkitty

WARNING:  Bites the hand that feeds him!

View Profile

« Reply #26 on: Dec 5th, 2003, 10:01pm »

I don't collect anything else, but my wife says my many boxes of cards collect dust.

Does that count?
« Last Edit: Dec 5th, 2003, 10:03pm by bigfatkitty » IP Logged

Member of Dragsamou's 'Dirty Frenchie' Fan Club.
Worshiped by all Netherlandians.
Nemesis of MCM
Confused by MRM
If you have a 3-word name and the 1st and last words start with an 'M', go away.
TerraFrost

I love phpBB 2.0.15!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #27 on: Dec 5th, 2003, 10:46pm »

i will grant that, as far as expensive coins are concerned, these aren't all that expensive, but then again, you have to consider the fact that coins command *much* higher prices than mtg cards.  rare coins routinly sell for millions of dollars, while the rarest most unique mtg cards sell for, at most, $10,000 - $20,000.  so while these coins may well be the serra angels of the coin world they're worth is more on par with the library of alexandria's from the mtg world.

consider the 1914-D lincoln cent.  it's a key date for a reason.  actually, a number of reasons, heh.  first, the 1914-D lincoln cent had a relatively low mintage as far as lincoln cents are concerned.  the mintage, as given to my by coinfacts.com is a little over a million.  the only other lincoln cent with a lower mintage is a little less than half a million, and that is the 1909-S VDB lincoln cent.  contrast this with the mintage for the steel cents (which was around a billion, from ea. mint) and indeed, just about any recent lincoln cent, and you will see that the 1914-D is quite uncommon.  further, while the 1909-S VDB cent was instantly known to be a rarity, the 1914-D cent wasn't.  atleast not initially.  the result of this is that it is harder to find a 1914-D cent in good condition than it is to find a 1909-S VDB cent, in good condition.

in fact, an article on the PCGS website lists the 1914-D lincoln cent amonst the top 50 most highly demanded coins.

http://www.pcgs.com/articles/article1775.chtml

now consider the 1882-CC morgan silver dollar...  that's not too rare, nor is it too sought after, but...  that is more than made up for, imho, by it's condition of MS-64.
IP Logged

mintcollector

Expert Champion

View Profile WWW

« Reply #28 on: Dec 5th, 2003, 11:21pm »

on Dec 5th, 2003, 10:46pm, TerraFrost wrote:
i will grant that, as far as expensive coins are concerned, these aren't all that expensive, but then again, you have to consider the fact that coins command *much* higher prices than mtg cards.  rare coins routinly sell for millions of dollars, while the rarest most unique mtg cards sell for, at most, $10,000 - $20,000.  so while these coins may well be the serra angels of the coin world they're worth is more on par with the library of alexandria's from the mtg world.

consider the 1914-D lincoln cent.  it's a key date for a reason.  actually, a number of reasons, heh.  first, the 1914-D lincoln cent had a relatively low mintage as far as lincoln cents are concerned.  the mintage, as given to my by coinfacts.com is a little over a million.  the only other lincoln cent with a lower mintage is a little less than half a million, and that is the 1909-S VDB lincoln cent.  contrast this with the mintage for the steel cents (which was around a billion, from ea. mint) and indeed, just about any recent lincoln cent, and you will see that the 1914-D is quite uncommon.  further, while the 1909-S VDB cent was instantly known to be a rarity, the 1914-D cent wasn't.  atleast not initially.  the result of this is that it is harder to find a 1914-D cent in good condition than it is to find a 1909-S VDB cent, in good condition.

in fact, an article on the PCGS website lists the 1914-D lincoln cent amonst the top 50 most highly demanded coins.

http://www.pcgs.com/articles/article1775.chtml

now consider the 1882-CC morgan silver dollar...  that's not too rare, nor is it too sought after, but...  that is more than made up for, imho, by it's condition of MS-64.

Oops....I was thinking of the 1943 Steel pennies when ripping on your 1914-D.  Bob may indeed need that coin.
IP Logged

See my current needs here: http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/mintcollector/
TerraFrost

I love phpBB 2.0.15!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #29 on: Dec 6th, 2003, 6:40am »

oh, heh Smiley
yeah...  those steel cents aren't worth much...  in fact, serious collectors probably wouldn't even give a cent for 'em, heh.  i mean, you have a coin that isn't worth anything, but you don't want to spend all the same, heh.

anyways, i put some pictures of the coins up, here:

http://www.frostjedi.com/terra/coins.html

anyways, if bob, or anyone, wanted 'em, i would send first, as i've never actually done online trades, before Smiley
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | No topic »

Magic Library Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.