Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 12th, 2006, 7:01am

Magic LibraryMagic Library HomeHome HelpHelp SearchSearch LoginLogin RegisterRegister NotificationNotification
Magic Library Forum « The Official Religion Thread »

Magic Library Forum
   Archive (no new threads please)
   Member Information
(Moderators: Ralph Herold, l0qii, dragsamou)
   The Official Religion Thread
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: The Official Religion Thread  (Read 219 times)
Mr.C

Now Collecting: Legends

172776846 172776846     AnglerFishBr
View Profile WWW

The Official Religion Thread
« on: Nov 6th, 2004, 4:35pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Well, a lot of people talked about opening a thread to discuss religion, so here it is. Let´s keep it civil, although i think this is uneeded to say, since we are pretty mature here.

What is your religion (if any)? Do you believe in God, afterlife, etc?

I´ll start...

I´m a Roman Catholic, go every Sunday to church, help out there when needed, and so on. However, i disagree with alot of things in the Church (as an organization), especially when it comes to money. If you have ever been to the vatican, you will see how they live a a very plush place, compared to the millions of churches around the world, thousands of them falling apart.

However, although a Catholic, i tend to believe in Reincarnation. It is a very interesting concept...

And you?
IP Logged

Check my Legend want list:

http://irpg.galacnode.com/mtg/Legends
bigfatkitty

WARNING:  Bites the hand that feeds him!

View Profile

Re: The Official Religion Thread
« Reply #1 on: Nov 6th, 2004, 11:02pm »

Although raised a Lutheran, I view organized religion as a means to make money in the name of God.  I feel a person can be religious without going to church.

I'd rather apply my money as donations to charities of my choosing than to perpetuate a religious club.
IP Logged

Member of Dragsamou's 'Dirty Frenchie' Fan Club.
Worshiped by all Netherlandians.
Nemesis of MCM
Confused by MRM
If you have a 3-word name and the 1st and last words start with an 'M', go away.
AXIOS

CREDENDO VIDES!!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: Nov 6th, 2004, 11:55pm »

before you were attending these forums mr. C., we already had a discussion bout this.

as my memory serves me well, the topic was closed, because it got a little out of hand.

my religion..............atheïst.
Don't believe in god, Allah, Satan or what so ever, i only have a very strong sense, that there must be something more then us dusty people Wink
IP Logged

LOVES BIGFATPIMPY!!!!!!!!!
I WANT LOTS OF BOG WRAITHS, PLZ DONATE TO THIS POOR NETHERLANDI
silver.paladin

All regular and special Red/Land cards

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Nov 7th, 2004, 1:37am »

on Nov 6th, 2004, 11:02pm, bigfatkitty wrote:
Although raised a Lutheran, I view organized religion as a means to make money in the name of God.  I feel a person can be religious without going to church.

I'd rather apply my money as donations to charities of my choosing than to perpetuate a religious club.

Personally, I'd rather apply my money to alcohol and women of questionable values   Grin

As for me, I am R.C. also, however, I was born and raised that way.  I am probably more atheist now than anything else, but I will refer myself as R.C., since that is what family expects of me.
« Last Edit: Nov 7th, 2004, 1:38am by silver.paladin » IP Logged

Procrastination is an art. And I am an artist.
normalbrains

dildo extraordinaire

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Nov 7th, 2004, 1:52am »

on Nov 6th, 2004, 4:35pm, Mr.C wrote:
Well, a lot of people talked about opening a thread to discuss religion, so here it is. Let´s keep it civil, although i think this is uneeded to say, since we are pretty mature here.

What is your religion (if any)? Do you believe in God, afterlife, etc?

I´ll start...

I´m a Roman Catholic, go every Sunday to church, help out there when needed, and so on. However, i disagree with alot of things in the Church (as an organization), especially when it comes to money. If you have ever been to the vatican, you will see how they live a a very plush place, compared to the millions of churches around the world, thousands of them falling apart.

However, although a Catholic, i tend to believe in Reincarnation. It is a very interesting concept...

And you?

its seems to me that christianity and reincarnation are completely compatible. let me ramble a bit and please correct me if im wrong. according to christianity, if you dont accept jesus (find god) you will go to hell. whats more hellish than life on earth? of course theres good stuff about life as a human but cmon, the pain, the suffering- its hell. especially to a being made of energy that doesnt experience these things. especially if we come from god (perfectness, "love"). if you dont get it right, you come back as human until you do get it right. the bible does say we rejected god and we were sent here, right? if he loves us so much, hed want us to return. but free will lets us stay here (reincarnate) until we get it right. im not saying i believe wholeheartedly in that, i just think the two things are much more compatiable than most christians and interpreters of the bible would have us believe.
« Last Edit: Nov 7th, 2004, 1:53am by normalbrains » IP Logged

My H/W: http://www.magictraders.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/188717.html
normalbrains

dildo extraordinaire

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Nov 7th, 2004, 1:58am »

i should say that i think that is much more probable than god banishing us the eternal (keyword: eternal, meaning forever) burning in fire because we didnt realize during this short life as a human that jesus died for my sins even though most things ive experienced point to the fact that he didnt. if god loves me so much and is all powerful, i dont think he would be so petty with my soul. at least i hope not.
IP Logged

My H/W: http://www.magictraders.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/188717.html
TerraFrost

I love phpBB 2.0.15!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: Nov 7th, 2004, 3:10am »

i'm agnostic, and don't really care much, either way, right now.

as for whether or not he exists - i think the ontological argument makes an interesting case for his existance, but ultimately, i believe that one of the premises of the ontological argument is kinda unprovable.  as far as the so-called problem of evil is concerned - i don't think that that's much of a problem.  if (the christian) god were omnipotent, then the power to defy logic should be one of his powers.

ultimately, i think his existence can't be proven (as sorta demonstrated above), despite what some might claim, and really just don't care, heh.
IP Logged

BLACK LOTUS DONATIONS NEEDED!

CURRENT COUNT: 0

Vilan

Elder Scrub

keylime2k2  
View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Nov 7th, 2004, 3:18am »

on Nov 7th, 2004, 1:58am, normalbrains wrote:
if god loves me so much and is all powerful, i dont think he would be so petty with my soul. at least i hope not.

Coming from my own (orthodox RC) background, I would say we're petty with ourselves. God doesn't condemn us, we do so ourselves by our choice to reject Him. I liken final judgment to a birth/death certificate... it just confirms what's already happened, it doesn't actually make you alive/dead. If you accept God in life here, you accept Him afterwards (aka heaven). If you reject Him, hell. Now we could get into all sorts of arguments about those who never even heard of the guy, but I think I've been inflammatory enough for one day. Wink

Oh wait, maybe not. Grin Reincarnation? Nope. "It is appointed men to die once, and then the judgment". I forget the exact verse, but it's in there. It makes a neat Magic card though!
IP Logged
Muldoon

Swirling Clouds

115180696 115180696    
View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Nov 7th, 2004, 3:37am »

I disbelieve/disagree with most religions (can't say all since i haven't even heard of all).

The way I see it, religion is really about living standards, and about guidelines for living the "perfect" life.
The ultimate "religion", as I see it, would be a complete devotion to helping others in need, as long as you personally have everything you need.  

I don't feel the symbolic being god necessary for anything, it's rather an obstacle for those who become really enlightened on their own. With the evolutionary stage humanity is at right now, though, a god is a good tool for shaping many people into living by better standards.
I don't believe it is the perfect tool for humanity to improve as a whole here on our planet, though.

If there's a god, you will never do any completely "good" deeds, since there's something in it for you. You're pleasing the god, doing "his will", getting higher in his regard. That isn't pure.
There doesn't have to be a "reason" for doing something good, contrary to popular belief.
The personal satisfaction from having done something important for someone should be the only reward for your help.

Other than this, I understand that people like having a religion for comfort, even if they don't live by the ultimate standards. I respect that, and I don't wish to devaluate it. If it makes you a better person, and you find it helps you making it through today, it's definately good.

What I believe in terms of religion is that we need to drop our materialistic society; always letting our families's and friends's needs come before our own desires, and helping unknown people whenever we can.
Only then will humanity grow as a whole.
We also need to drop the tensions because of differences. Spiritually we're all alike, we're all seeds that have grown up to be very different "plants".
We are all the same, and we are all alive. That's something we need to realise as a whole, and treasure for what it truly is.

I know that this is a little flawed, who has the right to say what's a "good deed" and what's "right to do for someone" ? And who's there to say what's helping someone, and what's not?
Communication can solve most of this.

Finally, I know this post hasn't said much about several other big issues associated with religion; afterlife, sin, why we are here, our origin; and you know why? I don't think it's important.
Whats important for humanity right now is that we wake up and realise that our possessions and desires are less important than others's lives.

"You can only grow as a person, when what matters to you comes in second."
IP Logged

Collecting Dragon Whelps! A/FBB/FWB/Summer/Alt4th/IE/Test/Misprinted wanted!
ANALOG_KID

Begin the day with a friendly voice.......

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Nov 7th, 2004, 4:15am »

Oh boy! Another wonderful discussion filled with concepts, beliefs ( or lack of), opinions, and experiences from around the world.

I'm not one to proselytize to the crowd, but I would like to make an general observation regarding a significant number of the worlds religions.
They have a common precept that even agnostics and athiests can appreciate.

Be good to one another.

It's a pretty good idea to start with. Maybe if more people could do it, then things wouldn't be so bad.

You get a lifetime. Nothing more, nothing less.
We should make the best of it.
(Attn: Reincarnationists -- Please forward this message.)

I may agree or disagree with your beliefs, but I don't hate you for it.  
For all I know, we could all be right , or maybe we've all got it wrong.

Have a nice day. Smiley

IP Logged
sylvanstu

Amoung the darkest ashes grows the strongest seeds

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Nov 7th, 2004, 7:43am »

Religion's suck i am the god of HELLFIRE send me all your cards or burn.  

Come on does this thread really serve a purpose Ralph i vote now to get rid of it.
IP Logged

Collector of one of each Armageddon printed.
TerraFrost

I love phpBB 2.0.15!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #11 on: Nov 7th, 2004, 8:01am »

as long as people don't start debating which religion is the right one, which interpretation is correct, etc, i don't see a problem with this thread.

in fact, as this boards population is more diverse than most of the boards i post at (we have members here from all over the world, and of all ages), i have to say that i'd really miss threads like this one could be and like the election 2004 thread as it presently is.
IP Logged

BLACK LOTUS DONATIONS NEEDED!

CURRENT COUNT: 0

sylvanstu

Amoung the darkest ashes grows the strongest seeds

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Nov 7th, 2004, 8:11am »

well i'll screw it up then i hate all organized religion.  It ia a scam to make tax free money. All the major wars in this world over time are religion based. I am not an athiest. I am spirital. I have a strong consiuos contact with a higher power. He/She has never told me to give money, or kill someone.

I denounce all organizes religion.I am passionate about this.  

IMAGINE
IP Logged

Collector of one of each Armageddon printed.
themike314

TheMike314
View Profile WWW

« Reply #13 on: Nov 7th, 2004, 12:10pm »

I'm a gnostic agnostic with a tendency toward paganism.

I agree with the 'organized religions are bad' sentiment.
IP Logged

You told me why you hate magic. You never asked why I hate the church. I'll tell you why. It's because you're closed-minded, intolerant, dogmatic, and most of all, you're amateurs.
Mr.C

Now Collecting: Legends

172776846 172776846     AnglerFishBr
View Profile WWW

« Reply #14 on: Nov 7th, 2004, 2:12pm »

on Nov 7th, 2004, 8:11am, sylvanstu wrote:
well i'll screw it up then i hate all organized religion.  It ia a scam to make tax free money. All the major wars in this world over time are religion based. I am not an athiest. I am spirital. I have a strong consiuos contact with a higher power. He/She has never told me to give money, or kill someone.

I denounce all organizes religion.I am passionate about this.  

IMAGINE

Well, I agree with you  Cheesy

Organized religion is a way to make money...

However, what we discuss here are principles, not the 'money-making' part. We are discussing what makes the religion, not what people do with it Wink.

touché.
IP Logged

Check my Legend want list:

http://irpg.galacnode.com/mtg/Legends
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Magic Library Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.