Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 12th, 2006, 7:57am

Magic LibraryMagic Library HomeHome HelpHelp SearchSearch LoginLogin RegisterRegister NotificationNotification
Magic Library Forum « Relatives that play collect and trade? »

Magic Library Forum
   Archive (no new threads please)
   Member Information
(Moderators: Ralph Herold, l0qii, dragsamou)
   Relatives that play collect and trade?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Relatives that play collect and trade?  (Read 98 times)
Tenacious_Dyl

Old Cards Rock

ThoughtsForEatin
View Profile

Relatives that play collect and trade?
« on: Aug 17th, 2004, 12:24am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hey Everyone,
While reading the GenCon thread, I saw that sylvanstu might go with his son... this inspired me for another fun group thread.

What relatives do you have that play, collect, or trade MTG cards? Sons, Daughters, Uncles, Wives? Smiley

One of my older cousins used to play, she played around the arabian nights era. That is the only relative I have that knows of the game... how about you folks ? Smiley
IP Logged
Celebrindor

328665940 328665940   van8888   van88888888
View Profile WWW

Re: Relatives that play collect and trade?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 17th, 2004, 12:34am »

My cousin (who is all of 2 days older than me) introduced me to the game around Beta.  He stopped around or soon after Mirage.  His "collection" is still in a big pile in a plastic  bin somewhere - he never took care of his cards, so it isnt worth a damn thing.

My other cousin (11) and her sister (9) started playing Yu-Gi-Oh about a year ago, and I tried to steer them away from the dark side by giving them a few decks made up of Onslaught Block commons, but they don't play either game anymore.
IP Logged

As of the 21st, i've been here for 1 year! yay!
rg

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Aug 17th, 2004, 12:57am »

My wife plays Grin
We don't simply open boxes of new editions, we buy some boxen and play a new sealed every evening so opening boxes is a lot of fun.
My son wants to play with my cards every day, but not magic  Undecided
IP Logged
dry_cereal

donate crimps for the cause

294706841 294706841   feedmecakes   feedmecakes
View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: Aug 17th, 2004, 1:15am »

rg! I'm going to be in Jersey from 18th to 20th or so.  Wanna play some?
IP Logged

The first game of Magic ever was a drunken disaster
alpha fire elemental count = 6
standing offer = $130 for a crimped Summer card
http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/bp43/crimps/crimppg1.htm
sylvanstu

Amoung the darkest ashes grows the strongest seeds

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Aug 17th, 2004, 1:34am »

As Dylan mentioned above my son plays and i also got my 2 nephew's into it. All 3 are going to be 13 soon. My older brother doesn't play but he collects cards he thinks are cool. he finds me lots of cards at garage sales. He found a revised starter deck this summer where 2 of the rares were dual lands he payed a dollar for it at a salvation army thrift store. last year he found 7 packs of Weatherlight there.I have 3 younger boys 7, 5, and 4 that will eventually learn to play Grin
IP Logged

Collector of one of each Armageddon printed.
mahdishain

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Aug 17th, 2004, 2:22am »

my fifthteen year old son has grown up playing. he was  
six when i began playing with friends. he kept bugging me to play but i kept telling him it was a reading game and when his reading improved he could play. he promptly told me that he all ready knew what the cards were and what they did so why couldn't he play. he had memorized the pictures and what the cards did. he has been playing ever since. he is better than me and has multiple top eight jss finishes.  at our first dragoncon, in 1994, he sat down at an arena table matched up against a twentysomething, asked him if he would shuffle his deck for him, and accomplished about a fifth turn kill with his thrull deck.  everyone gathered around to watch to kid beat up on adults.  we have many fond memories of our adventures in magic. i am in favor of anything that fathers and sons (or daughters) can enjoy together.
IP Logged

practice peace
Celebrindor

328665940 328665940   van8888   van88888888
View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: Aug 17th, 2004, 3:32am »

Where in Jersey, dry_cereal?  Theres a great store near me (and a train station) that holds drafts almost every night.
IP Logged

As of the 21st, i've been here for 1 year! yay!
mintcollector

Expert Champion

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: Aug 17th, 2004, 3:33am »

I have distant cousins that I found out that play, but my younger brother used to collect and play.  He still has 3 mint Alpha sets and 4 mint Beta sets.  Sadly we do not speak anymore as he is an ass and I am tired of his self-centered attitude.  My borther does not anyone touch his binders.  If you want to see his cards he has to turn the pages for you.
IP Logged

See my current needs here: http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/mintcollector/
dry_cereal

donate crimps for the cause

294706841 294706841   feedmecakes   feedmecakes
View Profile WWW

« Reply #8 on: Aug 17th, 2004, 3:44am »

near morristown, it's Middle North
IP Logged

The first game of Magic ever was a drunken disaster
alpha fire elemental count = 6
standing offer = $130 for a crimped Summer card
http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/bp43/crimps/crimppg1.htm
sylvanstu

Amoung the darkest ashes grows the strongest seeds

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Aug 17th, 2004, 4:31am »

on Aug 17th, 2004, 2:22am, mahdishain wrote:
my fifthteen year old son has grown up playing. he was  
six when i began playing with friends. he kept bugging me to play but i kept telling him it was a reading game and when his reading improved he could play. he promptly told me that he all ready knew what the cards were and what they did so why couldn't he play. he had memorized the pictures and what the cards did. he has been playing ever since. he is better than me and has multiple top eight jss finishes.  at our first dragoncon, in 1994, he sat down at an arena table matched up against a twentysomething, asked him if he would shuffle his deck for him, and accomplished about a fifth turn kill with his thrull deck.  everyone gathered around to watch to kid beat up on adults.  we have many fond memories of our adventures in magic. i am in favor of anything that fathers and sons (or daughters) can enjoy together.

I agree at has made us very close and theese kids actually are alot smarter than we are when it comes to theese games for some reason can't figure it out. Anthony continues to freak out our Wedsday night D+D group with his insite to gaming and he remembers everything we have ever done. We have been playing for over 20 years and he figures out what we need to do most of the time.  Grin
IP Logged

Collector of one of each Armageddon printed.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Magic Library Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.