Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 25th, 2005, 11:33pm

Magic LibraryMagic Library HomeHome HelpHelp SearchSearch LoginLogin RegisterRegister NotificationNotification
Magic Library Forum « The jury has reached a verdict..... »

Magic Library Forum
   Off-Topic
   Off-Topic General
(Moderators: Ralph Herold, hammr7, l0qii)
   The jury has reached a verdict.....
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: The jury has reached a verdict.....  (Read 224 times)
TerraFrost

I love phpBB 2.0.15!

View Profile WWW

Re: The jury has reached a verdict.....
« Reply #15 on: Jun 15th, 2005, 3:06pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Quote:
In an interview on CNN's "Larry King Live," Juror No. 1, identified later as Raymond Hultman, said he believes Jackson "probably has molested boys."

"I can't believe that this man could sleep in the same bedroom for 365 straight days and not do something more than just watch television and eat popcorn," he told King.

"I mean, that doesn't make sense to me. But that doesn't make him guilty of the charges that were presented in this case and that's where we had to make our decision."

source
IP Logged

BLACK LOTUS DONATIONS NEEDED!

CURRENT COUNT: 0

hammr7

Hero in my own mind!

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Jun 15th, 2005, 3:15pm »

I wonder how differently this would be perceived if it were a 40 year old women sleeping with preteen girls.
IP Logged

Where have all the Magic sticker sets gone?
mintcollector

Expert Champion

View Profile WWW

« Reply #17 on: Jun 15th, 2005, 5:37pm »

on Jun 15th, 2005, 3:06pm, TerraFrost wrote:

source

From the same article there is obvious bias and corruption on personal thoughts:

Quote:
Their decisions were based on two things: the prosecution couldn't prove its case; and the jury didn't like the accuser's mother.

Juror No. 5, a retired widow, said she was put off when the mother snapped her fingers at the jurors from the witness stand.

"I disliked it intensely when she snapped her fingers at us," said the retired widow. "That's when I thought, 'Don't snap your fingers at me, lady.'"

Juror No. 2 said he felt the mother singled him out because he was a fellow Hispanic.

"She looked at me and snapped her fingers a few times and she says, 'You know how our culture is,' and winks at me. I thought, 'No, that's not the way our culture is.'"

IP Logged

See my current needs here: http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/mintcollector/
hammr7

Hero in my own mind!

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Jun 15th, 2005, 6:43pm »

Mintcollector,

I think you are grasping at straws on that last one.  I've sat on three juries, and you can tell a lot by the way witnesses attempt to interact with you. In fact, lawyers go to great lenths to school their witnesses (whether for the prosecution or defense) on how best to subliminally reinforce their testimony.   Fortunately for juries, human nature undermines the best acting jobs, if they are stretches from the start.  And fortunately for juries, there are specific guidelines to follow in determining whether someone is guilty in a criminal trial.

If a witness or a lawyer tries to sway you to their belief (either by phrases like "you know how ...." or with body signals (winks, finger snaps, etc.) you have a choice of accepting or rejecting those signals.  In fact, juries in most high profile cases are given very detailed instructions by the judge, both before proceedings start, and again before jury deliberation, on these issues.  Also remember that a major part of any case is determining who is telling the "whole" truth, and who is not (by lieing, or telling only part of the truth).  This usually comes down to reviewing actual testimony, and looking for coroboration or discrepencies.  

I saw the interview with the woman juror you quote.  I understood the juror's comments to mean that the accuser's mother, with words and body language, was trying to "pressure" the jury into finding MJ guilty on the force of the mother's personality and anger.  This has actually worked in the past for similar cases.  But that woman juror wasn't buying it ... she was going to let the "facts" force her decision.  The actions and inconsistancies of the accuser and his families (including admitted perjury) probably played a part.   Why is it an "obvious bias and corruption" to not accept conotative expansion of the mother's testimony and stick to the facts?  That is exactly what the jury did, and they determined that there was insufficient credible evidence to convict for the specific crimes that Michael Jackson was accused of.  It was not their job to try Michael Jackson for anything other than those 10 counts.
IP Logged

Where have all the Magic sticker sets gone?
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Magic Library Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.