Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 12th, 2006, 8:23am

Magic LibraryMagic Library HomeHome HelpHelp SearchSearch LoginLogin RegisterRegister NotificationNotification
Magic Library Forum « Tournament Packs »

Magic Library Forum
   Archive (no new threads please)
   Standard Magic Products
(Moderators: Ralph Herold, l0qii, dragsamou)
   Tournament Packs
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Tournament Packs  (Read 132 times)
silver.paladin

All regular and special Red/Land cards

View Profile

Tournament Packs
« on: Oct 16th, 2004, 12:29am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Oct 15th, 2004, 11:52pm, Ralph Herold wrote:
I have one question about the Alternate Fourh Edition Starter Decks (at that time, the term "Tournament Pack" was not yet defined): Is there any deviation in the product code, compared to a regular Fourth Edition Starter Deck? If there is, I would like to have the complete product code (WOC, ISBN, UPC, SL ...).

Hi Ralph, a question perhaps for you or others - in regards to your quote of "Tournament Pack not yet defined".
It is my understanding (or remembrance) that originally all there was released was boosters of various amounts of cards and starter decks, which consisted of 60 cards - R,U,C and Land.
Tournament Packs came out with 75 cards, same as above, but an additional 15 cards for a "sideboard".
And it was approx Masques I think, that these new Packs were released.

Is this not correct, or are the words "Starter" and "Tournament" interchangeable?  As far as I recall, 4th only ever had 60 card packages, so it should only be called Starter.

It was just in reading this particular paragraph you wrote, that I am wondering if I have been mistaken for quite some time now or not.

Thanx
IP Logged

Procrastination is an art. And I am an artist.
Celebrindor

328665940 328665940   van8888   van88888888
View Profile WWW

Re: Tournament Packs
« Reply #1 on: Oct 16th, 2004, 12:45am »

speaking of which, does anyone know where i can get comprehensive information regarding the number of cards in boosters, and the positions of the rares?

Ralph - is this something (in addition to the serial number you seem to have been compiling) that we could put in that table in the "magic card sets" section?
IP Logged

As of the 21st, i've been here for 1 year! yay!
Ralph Herold
Administrator

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: Oct 16th, 2004, 12:47am »

silver.paladin: Your assumption is correct. In the past, there have been 60 card boxes which had been labeled Starter Decks. When the content was changed to consist of 75 cards, the product name was changed as well and the new term Tournament Deck was born. The first Tournament Packs were from Sixth Edition (Core Set) and Urza's Saga (expansions).

van8888: Well, the exact positioning of cards sounds like a good idea to keep track of, but is not something I will do in the near future. Listing the exact contents of products, however, is something I am planning to do once the update is done. Note that as a result, Magic Rarities will not be the focus of massive updates in the near future. There is still much to do, but at the moment, my desire to improve Magic Card Sets is superior.
« Last Edit: Oct 16th, 2004, 12:50am by Ralph Herold » IP Logged
Vilan

Elder Scrub

keylime2k2  
View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Oct 16th, 2004, 10:33pm »

on Oct 16th, 2004, 12:29am, silver.paladin wrote:

Hi Ralph, a question perhaps for you or others - in regards to your quote of "Tournament Pack not yet defined".
It is my understanding (or remembrance) that originally all there was released was boosters of various amounts of cards and starter decks, which consisted of 60 cards - R,U,C and Land.
Tournament Packs came out with 75 cards, same as above, but an additional 15 cards for a "sideboard".
And it was approx Masques I think, that these new Packs were released.

Is this not correct, or are the words "Starter" and "Tournament" interchangeable?  As far as I recall, 4th only ever had 60 card packages, so it should only be called Starter.

Starter decks moved from 60 to 75 cards starting with Urza's Saga, and 6th Edition for the base sets. The extra 15 cards are not there for sideboard purposes... they just realized that most people would buy starters only for tournament use, so they added some lands and commons to bulk it up so that there would be enough lands for this. Plus they could stop printing full rulebooks and just include a small pamphlet for the new rules.

Namewise, I use "starter deck" and "tournament deck" interchangeably for either the 60 or 75 card versions. But Ralph's comment was just there to say that at the time of 4th Edition they were referred to only as "starter decks". Not a big deal really.
IP Logged
misterpid

That's Mr Pid to you.

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Oct 17th, 2004, 5:22pm »

I always thought that the term "tournament deck" was created so that there would be no confusion with the Starter product (the renaming of Portal).

Stuart
IP Logged

Always looking for:
Legends Presence of the Master (English or Italian)
Dark Sorrow's Path (English or Italian)
Non-English Contract From Below.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Magic Library Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.