Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 25th, 2005, 2:56pm

Magic LibraryMagic Library HomeHome HelpHelp SearchSearch LoginLogin RegisterRegister NotificationNotification
Magic Library Forum « Magic The Gathering:Box of Legends:Trying to sell »

Magic Library Forum
   Trading
   Standard Magic Products
(Moderators: Ralph Herold, hammr7, l0qii)
   Magic The Gathering:Box of Legends:Trying to sell
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Magic The Gathering:Box of Legends:Trying to sell  (Read 260 times)
aromeoh

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

Magic The Gathering:Box of Legends:Trying to sell
« on: Jun 7th, 2005, 11:57pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have a box of Legends that I do not want any longer and I would like to sell it.  The box itself is still sealed and has never seen the light of day. Great condition.  I am asking $2,000 or the best offer you can give me. Simply reply to this or send me an email at [email protected]
IP Logged
Mr.C

Now Collecting: Legends

172776846 172776846     AnglerFishBr
View Profile WWW

Re: Magic The Gathering:Box of Legends:Trying to s
« Reply #1 on: Jun 8th, 2005, 3:03am »

uh, i think you will have a hard time getting $2000 on it... just an opinon...
IP Logged

Check my Legend want list:

http://irpg.galacnode.com/mtg/Legends
gzeiger

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jun 8th, 2005, 10:52am »

I would have thought more like $1200, give or take. Not in the market myself, but a very cool piece nonetheless.
IP Logged
hammr7

Hero in my own mind!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jun 8th, 2005, 2:46pm »

Unless you are very well known on eBay or in Magic circles, you may have a hard time selling it without allowing the seller to open it up, so finding a face-to-face transaction might be best.   Finding someone reputable is equally critical.

There was a fairly big scam a few years ago, where real Legends boxes were refilled with junk cards and passed off as sealed.  I believe it originated out of China.  The job was professionally done, and was substantial enough that Wizards put out a warning on it.   You don't want a buyer accusing you of sending one of these if you didn't.

Even if it is legitmate, the problem with opening even one pack is that the distribution of uncommon cards was horrible with Legends, and there are whole boxes that don't have any Drains.  The spoilers are out there, and some people can tell on the first pack whether you have a "drain" box or a "no drain" box.  I've been told this has a $200 to $300 effect on the value of the box.

Last I knew, $1200 was a going rate, or ~$1400 if it was a "drain" box.
« Last Edit: Jun 8th, 2005, 2:47pm by hammr7 » IP Logged

Where have all the Magic sticker sets gone?
Celebrindor

328665940 328665940   van8888   van88888888
View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: Jun 8th, 2005, 3:00pm »

on Jun 8th, 2005, 2:46pm, hammr7 wrote:
Unless you are very well known on eBay or in Magic circles, you may have a hard time selling it without allowing the seller to open it up, so finding a face-to-face transaction might be best.   Finding someone reputable is equally critical.

There was a fairly big scam a few years ago, where real Legends boxes were refilled with junk cards and passed off as sealed.  I believe it originated out of China.  The job was professionally done, and was substantial enough that Wizards put out a warning on it.   You don't want a buyer accusing you of sending one of these if you didn't.

Even if it is legitmate, the problem with opening even one pack is that the distribution of uncommon cards was horrible with Legends, and there are whole boxes that don't have any Drains.  The spoilers are out there, and some people can tell on the first pack whether you have a "drain" box or a "no drain" box.  I've been told this has a $200 to $300 effect on the value of the box.

Last I knew, $1200 was a going rate, or ~$1400 if it was a "drain" box.

If one were to try to collect sealed boxes, is there any way to tell if its real without opening it?
IP Logged

As of the 21st, i've been here for 1 year! yay!
Gryfalia

Ex Level-3 Judge with an attitude

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jun 8th, 2005, 8:11pm »

The distribution of uncommons was perfect.

As long as you only wanted half of them.

For those that don't know, English Legends box packing was split into 2 halves.  One half contained half the uncommons, the other half the rest.

They were usually identified by the mana batteries.

to quote Crystal Keep:

Note: Due to a printing error each booster box only contains about half of the uncommon cards. This is typically referred to as the A and B box split.

There are lists out there that show the split, but it's a very hazy ethical ground for stores..

Gryfalia
IP Logged
hammr7

Hero in my own mind!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jun 8th, 2005, 9:52pm »

Celebrindor,

The only way to determine the fraud boxes is by comparison to a real box.  The counterfeiters used real Legends boxes, so any differences are going to show up in either the shrink wrap (apparantly not quite up to Wizards standards) or the weight (the fraudulent boxes usually didn't have exactly the same number of cards, and didn't account for the Legends rule cards).  Since I don't have any unopened Legends boxes, and haven't personally seen one of the fraudulent ones, I can't comment any more specifically.
IP Logged

Where have all the Magic sticker sets gone?
johnstown713

Can I have some Alpha Mons's Goblin Raiders

johnstown713
View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jun 8th, 2005, 10:12pm »

I sold a Sealed Italian legends for $600 not to long ago to give you an idea
IP Logged

Alpha Print Run Collection:
Mons's Goblin Raiders: 168(1 is graded)

Motl Sale:
http://www.magictraders.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/050320.html
aromeoh

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jun 10th, 2005, 7:20pm »

Well, i would be willing to take $1,500 for the box thats why i said that it was up for negotiation but ive never opened it and would have no idea how to tell what is in the box.  But i can guarantee that i did not send it out to have it "faked."  If anyone would seriously consider buying it please reply and i will get back to you. Thx
IP Logged
merfolkguy

Merfolk Geek

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Jun 24th, 2005, 6:17am »

Quote:
For those that don't know, English Legends box packing was split into 2 halves.  One half contained half the uncommons, the other half the rest.

Ha, years later I finally find this out, thanks.  I remember sitting in one of our apartments back in the early 90s as we all frantically opened our boxes (my buddies and I each got one) and I did get the drains box but if I recall it was mainly U/G/W or something and I kept lamenting that a) I got no dragons, b) everyone else seemed to get the uncommons I wanted.   I did get at least 3 drains if I recall, but at the time it was just a useful card, not an investment.  Of course the set overall was so much fun to play--they don't make em like they used to eh?.  A kobold deck and a dreams deck were born that night by my friends Dan and Steve, and I remember finding relic barrier the first hour and thinking how nicely it fit with my manipulator/winter orb deck.

It's hard to think any game will ever match the way Magic was for those first few years.  It was an absolute phenom.  Anyway, thanks for the info on the A/B boxes...that makes complete sense now.
« Last Edit: Jun 24th, 2005, 6:25am by merfolkguy » IP Logged

Collecting Merfolk and Lords of Atlantis:
Merfolk: the Gathering
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Magic Library Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.