Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 12th, 2006, 7:52am

Magic LibraryMagic Library HomeHome HelpHelp SearchSearch LoginLogin RegisterRegister NotificationNotification
Magic Library Forum « the best prerelease card »

Magic Library Forum
   Archive (no new threads please)
   Member Information
(Moderators: Ralph Herold, l0qii, dragsamou)
   the best prerelease card
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: the best prerelease card  (Read 397 times)
sylvanstu

Amoung the darkest ashes grows the strongest seeds

View Profile

Re: the best prerelease card
« Reply #15 on: Sep 3rd, 2004, 2:12am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

my favorite the lightning dragon  Grin
IP Logged

Collector of one of each Armageddon printed.
Vilan

Elder Scrub

keylime2k2  
View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Sep 3rd, 2004, 2:52am »

Either Laquatus's Champion or Glory. Honorable mention to Silent Specter.
IP Logged
coolio

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Sep 3rd, 2004, 4:20am »

on Sep 2nd, 2004, 7:57pm, DrSchnitzel wrote:

what' s good about the lightning dragon?
8 mana for a 4/4 flyer??

2RR is 8? wow.. my math must be REALLY off.. when did R = 3?

are we doing some really weird math here?

most playable wise? glory got a bit abused in madness splashing for the white, wasnt playing during tempest thru legacy, so I'll cant say lightning dragon.  I've seen prophet abused in sneak decks..  laq champ was in like a semi casual deck..  raging kavu was in a very good block deck in '01... i guess it depends on time and format

©
IP Logged
silver.paladin

All regular and special Red/Land cards

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Sep 3rd, 2004, 5:13am »

[quote author=coolio link=board=off-topic;num=1094124198;start=15#17 date=09/03/04 at 04:20:08]

2RR is 8? wow.. my math must be REALLY off.. when did R = 3?

are we doing some really weird math here?
quote]
Sorry Coolio, but please remember, the Lightning Dragon had ECHO, so though it cost 2RR to bring it out initially, it cost an additional 2RR to keep it following the next round, so in essence it is an 8mana card, unless of course it is only to be used for the one round.
So, I guess you cannot say that R = 3; rather R = 2 and 2 = 4.
IP Logged

Procrastination is an art. And I am an artist.
Celebrindor

328665940 328665940   van8888   van88888888
View Profile WWW

« Reply #19 on: Sep 3rd, 2004, 5:29am »

yeah, but its not 8 ALL AT ONCE, so it doesnt count like that...
IP Logged

As of the 21st, i've been here for 1 year! yay!
dry_cereal

donate crimps for the cause

294706841 294706841   feedmecakes   feedmecakes
View Profile WWW

« Reply #20 on: Sep 3rd, 2004, 8:13am »

or, think of it as 4 mana for 4 damage
IP Logged

The first game of Magic ever was a drunken disaster
alpha fire elemental count = 6
standing offer = $130 for a crimped Summer card
http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/bp43/crimps/crimppg1.htm
AXIOS

CREDENDO VIDES!!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #21 on: Sep 3rd, 2004, 9:26am »

what's wrong with the dirtcowl wurm  Undecided
IP Logged

LOVES BIGFATPIMPY!!!!!!!!!
I WANT LOTS OF BOG WRAITHS, PLZ DONATE TO THIS POOR NETHERLANDI
Perruche87

birds of paradise collectors

View Profile

« Reply #22 on: Sep 3rd, 2004, 1:47pm »

go lighting dragons!
IP Logged
fvzappa

A T1 junkie.

keith+fvzappa
View Profile WWW

« Reply #23 on: Sep 3rd, 2004, 7:26pm »

Raging Kavu or Lightning Dragon. I'm leaning more towards Raging Kavu since I have a misprinted prerelease one Roll Eyes.
IP Logged

What's the ugliest part of your body? Your MIND.
My ebay auctions: http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZtheblacklotusQ2acom
My misprints one added weekly: http://fvzappa.photosite.com
Ralph Herold
Administrator

View Profile WWW

« Reply #24 on: Sep 3rd, 2004, 7:37pm »

I would also like to hear an explanation of why you think the Lightning Dragon is good (in comparison to the other cards). While I at least see a window of usage for the cards I named at the beginning of this thread in semi-competitive decks, I see no such use for the Lightning Dragon. DrSchnitzel's arguments have merit in my opinion, as I also think that due to its high cost of twice 4 mana, its lack of Haste and protection from creature removal, and its mediocre body of 4/4, it is inferior to enough other creatures not to be played at all. Of course it can be pumped, but this should in a standard situation not become a significant feature anytime before the second round after the round where the card has been played.
IP Logged
Celebrindor

328665940 328665940   van8888   van88888888
View Profile WWW

« Reply #25 on: Sep 3rd, 2004, 8:01pm »

I think the distinction is thus:  There are a TON of better cards, but as far as prerelease cards, it seems better than most of the others.
IP Logged

As of the 21st, i've been here for 1 year! yay!
mintcollector

Expert Champion

View Profile WWW

« Reply #26 on: Sep 3rd, 2004, 8:19pm »

on Sep 3rd, 2004, 7:37pm, Ralph Herold wrote:
I would also like to hear an explanation of why you think the Lightning Dragon is good (in comparison to the other cards). While I at least see a window of usage for the cards I named at the beginning of this thread in semi-competitive decks, I see no such use for the Lightning Dragon. DrSchnitzel's arguments have merit in my opinion, as I also think that due to its high cost of twice 4 mana, its lack of Haste and protection from creature removal, and its mediocre body of 4/4, it is inferior to enough other creatures not to be played at all. Of course it can be pumped, but this should in a standard situation not become a significant feature anytime before the second round after the round where the card has been played.

Ralph:  The argument here is over what pre-release card is the best.  My reasons for voting for the Lightning Dragon are simply that it is a 4/4 Flyer for 2RR (echo), that is pumpable.  So you pay the cost of the Dragon, then simply pay it again, but hopefully have a 5th mana source that is red to pump the Dragon for a following attack the next turn for 5.  Turns following that allow for the Dragon to deal massive dmg.  I am not arguing that this card is the best card ever, but that it is at least superior to Glory or Laq. Champion.  The Champion's cost can be prohibitive.  For 6 mana you get a good card, but if I were playing a Dragon against you I would have already dealt you at least 8 dmg, but upwards of 15 dmg using nothing else but the Dragon and it's pump ability by time you drop him (unless you are playing some freaky graveyard recursion or anything else that can get him out via unorthodox means).   Glory is a 3/3/ Flyer for 5 and it's ability is obly good if it is in the graveyard?  Crap in my book.  I even surveyed my co-worker who used to avidly play but does not anymore.  Out of the 3 cards, he too picked the Dragon as the best card.

Instead of ripping the Dragon apart, I would like to hear your argument why Glory or Laq. Champion is better than the Dragon.  No one here has argued that the Dragon is the best card ever made, but when it comes to the pre-release cards I still think it is the best playable card we have.

« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2004, 8:20pm by mintcollector » IP Logged

See my current needs here: http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/mintcollector/
psrex

psrex1  
View Profile WWW

« Reply #27 on: Sep 3rd, 2004, 9:12pm »

I absolutely love Laquatus's Champion.  I am running four in my reanimator deck and they've helped speed up kills quite a bit when combined with Living Death and Buried Alive.  This is by far the best pre-release card in my opinion.
IP Logged

Looking for World Championship decks and Vanguard cards. MOTL H/W list
mintcollector

Expert Champion

View Profile WWW

« Reply #28 on: Sep 3rd, 2004, 11:09pm »

on Sep 3rd, 2004, 9:12pm, psrex wrote:
I absolutely love Laquatus's Champion.  I am running four in my reanimator deck and they've helped speed up kills quite a bit when combined with Living Death and Buried Alive.  This is by far the best pre-release card in my opinion.

As I said you need graveyard manipulation to make Laq. Champion viable.    The Dragon is better imo.
IP Logged

See my current needs here: http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/mintcollector/
sylvanstu

Amoung the darkest ashes grows the strongest seeds

View Profile

« Reply #29 on: Sep 4th, 2004, 3:57am »

on Sep 3rd, 2004, 8:19pm, mintcollector wrote:

Ralph:  The argument here is over what pre-release card is the best.  My reasons for voting for the Lightning Dragon are simply that it is a 4/4 Flyer for 2RR (echo), that is pumpable.  So you pay the cost of the Dragon, then simply pay it again, but hopefully have a 5th mana source that is red to pump the Dragon for a following attack the next turn for 5.  Turns following that allow for the Dragon to deal massive dmg.  I am not arguing that this card is the best card ever, but that it is at least superior to Glory or Laq. Champion.  The Champion's cost can be prohibitive.  For 6 mana you get a good card, but if I were playing a Dragon against you I would have already dealt you at least 8 dmg, but upwards of 15 dmg using nothing else but the Dragon and it's pump ability by time you drop him (unless you are playing some freaky graveyard recursion or anything else that can get him out via unorthodox means).   Glory is a 3/3/ Flyer for 5 and it's ability is obly good if it is in the graveyard?  Crap in my book.  I even surveyed my co-worker who used to avidly play but does not anymore.  Out of the 3 cards, he too picked the Dragon as the best card.

Instead of ripping the Dragon apart, I would like to hear your argument why Glory or Laq. Champion is better than the Dragon.  No one here has argued that the Dragon is the best card ever made, but when it comes to the pre-release cards I still think it is the best playable card we have.

I agree with Mike I also like to sneak attack it in and pump it bam ouch that hurt.
The only other prerelease card i ever play is the false prophet  makes people think when you have a wrath on board you can kill yourself at any time
IP Logged

Collector of one of each Armageddon printed.
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Magic Library Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.