Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 12th, 2006, 1:43am

Magic LibraryMagic Library HomeHome HelpHelp SearchSearch LoginLogin RegisterRegister NotificationNotification
Magic Library Forum « Summer query »

Magic Library Forum
   Archive (no new threads please)
   Item Value and Availability
(Moderators: Ralph Herold, l0qii, dragsamou)
   Summer query
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Summer query  (Read 274 times)
silver.paladin

All regular and special Red/Land cards

View Profile

Summer query
« on: Oct 7th, 2004, 2:28am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

A question here for the real Summer collectors.
The Blue Elemental Blast and Fireball.  These cards came out as promos a while back in a comic book, and have the 1994 date on them.
How do you tell the difference between these 2 promo cards and the Summer version of them?
I can understand being able to tell the difference once you have the cards, but how can you tell the difference in a picture in an online auction?  Is there something in specific to look for??
Thankx
IP Logged

Procrastination is an art. And I am an artist.
Muldoon

Swirling Clouds

115180696 115180696    
View Profile

Re: Summer query
« Reply #1 on: Oct 7th, 2004, 2:42am »

The real summer cards have only ONE line in the copyright field, while the promos have TWO, one for artist name and one for copyright 1994 wizards of the coast.
So the real one is like this:

Illus. C 1994 Artist's Name

While the magazine promo is like this:

Illus. Artist's Name
C 1994 Wizards of the Coast inc. All rights reserved

Hope that helps Smiley
EDIT: Made it easier to read/see
« Last Edit: Oct 7th, 2004, 2:43am by Muldoon » IP Logged

Collecting Dragon Whelps! A/FBB/FWB/Summer/Alt4th/IE/Test/Misprinted wanted!
Celebrindor

328665940 328665940   van8888   van88888888
View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: Oct 7th, 2004, 2:54am »

This is in reference to the two "summer" elemental blasts offered by the seller of the filler card, i assume?

Well, they both appear to be legit summer cards, but they both appear to be the same pictures too....
« Last Edit: Oct 7th, 2004, 2:55am by Celebrindor » IP Logged

As of the 21st, i've been here for 1 year! yay!
fvzappa

A T1 junkie.

keith+fvzappa
View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: Oct 7th, 2004, 6:37am »

Muldoon is absolutely right. If you need scans, I own both versions of both cards... drop me a line. But Muldoon's explination is right on target.
IP Logged

What's the ugliest part of your body? Your MIND.
My ebay auctions: http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZtheblacklotusQ2acom
My misprints one added weekly: http://fvzappa.photosite.com
Muldoon

Swirling Clouds

115180696 115180696    
View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Oct 7th, 2004, 6:59am »

Just realised there's a picture of the magazine promo on the site...    
So much for my knowledge Wink Here's a link so you know exactly what to look for, Silver.Paladin: http://magiclibrary.net/rarities-armada-images.html
Just like fourth edition cards but with 1994 copyright date... Oh well, at least I verified some of my dusty knowledge Grin
IP Logged

Collecting Dragon Whelps! A/FBB/FWB/Summer/Alt4th/IE/Test/Misprinted wanted!
AXIOS

CREDENDO VIDES!!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: Oct 7th, 2004, 10:49am »

on Oct 7th, 2004, 2:54am, van8888 wrote:
This is in reference to the two "summer" elemental blasts offered by the seller of the filler card, i assume?

Well, they both appear to be legit summer cards, but they both appear to be the same pictures too....

they do have a rather high reserve i noticed  Undecided
IP Logged

LOVES BIGFATPIMPY!!!!!!!!!
I WANT LOTS OF BOG WRAITHS, PLZ DONATE TO THIS POOR NETHERLANDI
Celebrindor

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: Oct 7th, 2004, 12:34pm »

on Oct 7th, 2004, 10:49am, AXIOS wrote:

they do have a rather high reserve i noticed  Undecided

Yes.  And the seller claimed "all my auctions are no reserve"
IP Logged

silver.paladin

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Oct 7th, 2004, 3:51pm »

on Oct 7th, 2004, 6:59am, Muldoon wrote:
Just realised there's a picture of the magazine promo on the site...    
So much for my knowledge Wink Here's a link so you know exactly what to look for, Silver.Paladin: http://magiclibrary.net/rarities-armada-images.html
Just like fourth edition cards but with 1994 copyright date... Oh well, at least I verified some of my dusty knowledge Grin

Thanks Muldoon.  I did not want to post this query here, but I was not able to find the link, thanks for providing it.
Going on from that link, was another link to the cardboard counters that came in some comics.
I think this is maybe an area that needs more to be looked at, no?  As, if I recall correctly, there was also a comic with a Homelands card in it and another one with a Chubb Toad, and I do not know what all else.
Maybe this is something to follow up with Ralph (unless he is already doing this), and that is to expand the Index on the Armanda Comics Promo's, and explain what other cards/items are found in the comics.
Others like that Homelands card and the Chubb Toad (unless I am mistaken on this) were identical to the regular release of the card, so no need to put a pic of them up - but just expand the Index to mention what other cards were available and what comic they came from.
IP Logged

mintcollector

Expert Champion

View Profile WWW

« Reply #8 on: Oct 7th, 2004, 5:27pm »

on Oct 7th, 2004, 3:51pm, silver.paladin wrote:

Thanks Muldoon.  I did not want to post this query here, but I was not able to find the link, thanks for providing it.
Going on from that link, was another link to the cardboard counters that came in some comics.
I think this is maybe an area that needs more to be looked at, no?  As, if I recall correctly, there was also a comic with a Homelands card in it and another one with a Chubb Toad, and I do not know what all else.
Maybe this is something to follow up with Ralph (unless he is already doing this), and that is to expand the Index on the Armanda Comics Promo's, and explain what other cards/items are found in the comics.
Others like that Homelands card and the Chubb Toad (unless I am mistaken on this) were identical to the regular release of the card, so no need to put a pic of them up - but just expand the Index to mention what other cards were available and what comic they came from.

This was a future project plan Ralph had was to list all inserts that were found in various mags that voered M:TG.  The problem is this information might be difficult to prove as any mags still poly-bagged probably will want to stay that way by their owners and not ripped open to verify insert contents.

The Homelands card and Chubb Toad are identical to normal production run copies so nothing is special about them.
IP Logged

See my current needs here: http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/mintcollector/
dragsamou

Help Me Finish My Magic Rarities Collection

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Oct 7th, 2004, 8:31pm »

on Oct 7th, 2004, 5:27pm, mintcollector wrote:

This was a future project plan Ralph had was to list all inserts that were found in various mags that voered M:TG.  The problem is this information might be difficult to prove as any mags still poly-bagged probably will want to stay that way by their owners and not ripped open to verify insert contents.

The Homelands card and Chubb Toad are identical to normal production run copies so nothing is special about them.

Hi Mike.
I have provided a Full list of All the different Cards available in Armada Comics to Ralph,long time ago.I confirmed that all these cards are the same as the Normal version.
IP Logged

http://magiclibrary.net/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=trading-promos;action=display;num=1107104379
http://magiclibrary.net/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=trading-promos;action=display;num=1107106308
Ralph Herold
Administrator

View Profile WWW

« Reply #10 on: Oct 7th, 2004, 11:14pm »

Exhancing the coverage of Magic related articles and inserts in magazines and other print media is one of the future projects I have in mind. Other tasks take precedence, though, and given my cut in time, plans take their time to evolve into concrete updates.

I can confirm that the coverage of non-standard Magic cards originating from magazines is complete (aside from some minor details regarding the magazines themselves).

As a general remark, I have witnessed (among a few other tendencies) that the website is less often used as a resource and as a consequence people tend to discuss topics which are already covered. Has the website become too complex?
IP Logged
dry_cereal

donate crimps for the cause

294706841 294706841   feedmecakes   feedmecakes
View Profile WWW

« Reply #11 on: Oct 8th, 2004, 1:15am »

I have multiple copies of some comics, where one has a glossy cover, and another has a plain cover.  Any ideas on these types of variants?
IP Logged

The first game of Magic ever was a drunken disaster
alpha fire elemental count = 6
standing offer = $130 for a crimped Summer card
http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/bp43/crimps/crimppg1.htm
silver.paladin

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Oct 8th, 2004, 1:16am »

I personally would not say this site is complex at all.
It is large and getting larger all the time, especially with any larger type updates that you do.
If anything, I think the problem is the SEARCH funtion is not the greatest (though I have not used it much, so I cannot really say much on it).  The couple times I have tried to use the SEARCH, I was getting a bunch of useless stuff from the forums - and I say useless, because you have to check each message for the searched item to see if the message is what is being looked for or not.
So I would not it is complex - it is getting larger, which albeit sometimes mades it harder to locate items.  And I would think also, that as you look the front page over and over so many times, that when you are looking for something in specific, your eyes may glance right over the item in particular, since it has been looked at so many times, and not register that you may have found your desired item/subject.
IP Logged

Celebrindor

View Profile WWW

« Reply #13 on: Oct 8th, 2004, 1:49am »

No, the site is not too complex.  Magic is a complex game, and there are more and more rarities produced as time goes on.  In order to cover everything (which we must, if we don't, no one will) the site needs to be complex.  

However, it is well organized, and generally easy to understand.  There are perhaps a few things that could be done to make it easier to find things, or different ways to organize things, but it is quite well set up, and no more complex than it needs to be.

It is hard to make it organized, though.  There are many different companies that produce cards, and card-related products, and a lot of different categories of promotional and limited-run items.  The only choices are to not cover some items, or become slightly complex.  The choice is obvious.
IP Logged

rg

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Oct 8th, 2004, 2:00am »

on Oct 7th, 2004, 11:14pm, Ralph Herold wrote:

As a general remark, I have witnessed (among a few other tendencies) that the website is less often used as a resource and as a consequence people tend to discuss topics which are already covered. Has the website become too complex?

Hi Ralph,

I don't think the site is to complex.
But in my oppinion for rarity beginners and for those trying to use the site (not the forum) as resource and not 90% firm with i.e. old Arena/FNM/Judge Rewards or AA & Magazine Promos it's hard to find the information you are looking for because of the navigation/structure. You already have to know what you have in hand to get information about or have some time klicking through the topics. (i hope you know what i mean).
For the forum ... am i right if i think thats part of what you meant by "other tendencies"?

Nevertheless, you know i think you are doing a great job with this site Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Magic Library Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.