Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 12th, 2006, 10:20pm

Magic LibraryMagic Library HomeHome HelpHelp SearchSearch LoginLogin RegisterRegister NotificationNotification
Magic Library Forum « Is there a market for these? »

Magic Library Forum
   Archive (no new threads please)
   Item Value and Availability
(Moderators: Ralph Herold, l0qii, dragsamou)
   Is there a market for these?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Is there a market for these?  (Read 154 times)
fvzappa

A T1 junkie.

keith+fvzappa
View Profile WWW

Is there a market for these?
« on: Jun 10th, 2004, 3:32am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

We all probably have heard by now of the 3/3 elf, signed & altered by Richard Garfield. I was wondering if it ever exchanged hands, & what kind of value was placed on it?

The reason I inquire, is that I have a signed & altered Serra Angel. It says "Serra Angel, super", and is signed by RG. He also gave it first strike. Douglas Shuler signed it too. I can scan it if need be.

I guess the biggest detractor of the whole thing is (although it is not) it could be faked. But anyhow, any thoughts/ imputs/ maybe even trade offers would be of much use.
IP Logged

What's the ugliest part of your body? Your MIND.
My ebay auctions: http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZtheblacklotusQ2acom
My misprints one added weekly: http://fvzappa.photosite.com
silver.paladin

All regular and special Red/Land cards

View Profile

Re: Is there a market for these?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 10th, 2004, 5:47am »

There is probably always going to be those making the claim(s) of fake, some louder than others.

In my opinion, i could not and would not value these cards any higher than regular, and would most likely value it as less, as the card is not mint clean anymore.
It is just all too easy to fake a signature, if you can find someone who is good at it, and how do you prove that the card is an original altered card? Its not as if a person can just call up Richard and have him give a vocal "its good" - not to mention who would believe it was Richard anyways?   Cheesy

For your own frame of mind, you know it is real, and that is all that matters; and if you are happy about having an altered card like this, then really, why care about a value for it, because it should then be invaluable to you.

So, since this is an item that is so easy to fake (not like it needs to be re-created or anything), I would say value and even trade value would be minimal.  If a card like this was given some kind of good value, would you not expect duplicates from a good forger to soon come out and devalue it?
IP Logged

Procrastination is an art. And I am an artist.
Erl00

MINT is MINT!

View Profile WWW

Re: Is there a market for these?
« Reply #2 on: Jun 10th, 2004, 12:45pm »

I tend to concur with Silver-Paladin. There are certainly some collectors who would pay perhaps $15 for this Serra (assuming it's not a Beta Wink) if they are sure it's signed and altered by Garfield.

Value of such a card is highly subjective.  

I don't think there is a "market" for these altered cards.

Regards,
Eric.
IP Logged

Please help me finish my Boosters collection
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Magic Library Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.