Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 12th, 2006, 8:01am

Magic LibraryMagic Library HomeHome HelpHelp SearchSearch LoginLogin RegisterRegister NotificationNotification
Magic Library Forum « What is up with the crystalline sliver? »

Magic Library Forum
   Archive (no new threads please)
   Item Value and Availability
(Moderators: Ralph Herold, l0qii, dragsamou)
   What is up with the crystalline sliver?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: What is up with the crystalline sliver?  (Read 778 times)
Celebrindor

328665940 328665940   van8888   van88888888
View Profile WWW

What is up with the crystalline sliver?
« on: Jul 27th, 2004, 4:59am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

On the webpage, foil crystalline sliver is listed as an FMN promo, but, unlike ALL OF THE OTHERS from that year (last year), I cannot find this card anywhere.  Was there a distribution problem or something?
IP Logged

As of the 21st, i've been here for 1 year! yay!
silver.paladin

All regular and special Red/Land cards

View Profile

Re: What is up with the crystalline sliver?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 27th, 2004, 6:31am »

on Jul 27th, 2004, 4:59am, van8888 wrote:
On the webpage, foil crystalline sliver is listed as an FMN promo, but, unlike ALL OF THE OTHERS from that year (last year), I cannot find this card anywhere.  Was there a distribution problem or something?

A problem, yes you could say that!   Cheesy  If you read the index with the FNMs, it states on there that at least one (though there was a couple others), were allegedly stolen from the WOTC coffers.  I have seen a couple on Ebay in the past - but that was early last year when they were allegedly stolen, and have seen none since then.  It will probably become a future prize (same as Disenchant), once the 'theft' has been fully examined, and charges, if any, are made and convictions thereof.
IP Logged

Procrastination is an art. And I am an artist.
mintcollector

Expert Champion

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: Jul 27th, 2004, 10:26pm »

This has been covered before, but I will revisit this a little bit.  The Crystalline Sliver was suposed to be the Mar 2003 FNM prize.    We know this for sure as you can see 3/12 F03 on the bottom of the card in the copyright line if you blow up the image.  The card was never released obviously and there are many rumors and theories as to why the card was never released, but this is something I don't wish to get into now.  What did happen though is that the Apr 03 card was released in Mar.  This one month off-ness continued until the fabled DCI Disenchant came out in July.  As of Auguest, things went back on track as the new promos were in the 8Ed card format.  Here is the snipment from my promo tracking word doc I have:

Bottle Gnomes  Jan 2003 1/12 F03
Muscle Sliver   Feb 2003 2/12 F03
Capsize   Mar 2003 4/12 F03
Priest of Titania  Apr 2003 5/12 F03
Goblin Bombardment  May 2003 6/12 F03
Scragnoth   Jun 2003 7/12 F03
DCI Disenchant  Jul 2003 no number
Smother   Aug 2003 8/12 F03

Here is the conundrum though.  Right now they aren't released, so any card if released would command a premium price (at least some value higher than a typical FNM).  What would happen to the card value if they ended up being released later?  Right, it would plummet to regular FNM prices.  Ask those who started to buy the few Disenchants that appeared on Ebay before the July release and paid between $100 to $150 for their cards.  There are members here who I don't want to re-expose, but I know that was a sting they will never forget.  So not knowing if they would ever release the card, but with the potential fear they may...what does one pay if one does find one?

The reason why Ralph lists it as a FNM is obvious, since it has 3/12 F03 on it.  

Ralph:  This is yet another post on this subject which I still feel there should be a small writeup on this card.  I can't recall if this is now the 3rd of 4th time bringing the writeup idea be needed again.
IP Logged

See my current needs here: http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/mintcollector/
Ralph Herold
Administrator

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: Jul 27th, 2004, 10:49pm »

mintcollector: Well, from my perspective, I did exactly what you suggested quite some time ago. Let me quote from the FNM section:

"In 2003, the prize card for March, a foil Crystalline Sliver, was unexpectedly skipped, allegedly because it has been stolen. As an intermediary solution, upcoming prize cards were moved up one month ahead of schedule, but since the new card layout was not supposed to debut before the release of Eighth Edition, the foil alternate art Disenchant was eventually released in July 2003 to fill the gap."

If you think, this text is missing something, just let me know, and I will add it accordingly.
IP Logged
rick21n

Ornithopter Collector

rick21n
View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jul 27th, 2004, 10:59pm »

I had also heard that the Crystalline Slivers were given out at US Nationals to judges and staff (maybe even more).  No first hand knowledge unfortunately.
IP Logged
Celebrindor

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: Jul 27th, 2004, 11:01pm »

I must have missed that text, Ralph.  Now it all makes sense.  My other question about the 2003 FNMs is also answered now - I was wondering why there were 13 instead of 12 - i was assuming that the Disenchant was a mistake (of Ralph's) simply because it lacked an FNM number, and all 12 months were accounted for.  Now I know!

bah - now I need to reorder my whole binder!

And in regards to mintcolectors comments - that seems to happen with all cards - I noticed the DCI Bonsesplitters (now $3-5) going for $30-40 (or, in one memorable case, $80) in eBay auctions.  That's why I am patient buying promos.

opinions:  will the crystalline sliver ever be released?
IP Logged

Celebrindor

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: Jul 27th, 2004, 11:04pm »

rick21n:

I think it is highly unlikely that it was given to judges.  All of the other judge's cards are available (if expensive), and the crystalline sliver is just NOWHERE!  I myself obtained a Balance for a relatively reasonable price, and there are still about a dozen listed on eBay.  Again, if the sliver was a judges card, it would be a lot more obtainable.
IP Logged

mintcollector

Expert Champion

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: Jul 27th, 2004, 11:12pm »

on Jul 27th, 2004, 10:49pm, Ralph Herold wrote:
mintcollector: Well, from my perspective, I did exactly what you suggested quite some time ago. Let me quote from the FNM section:

"In 2003, the prize card for March, a foil Crystalline Sliver, was unexpectedly skipped, allegedly because it has been stolen. As an intermediary solution, upcoming prize cards were moved up one month ahead of schedule, but since the new card layout was not supposed to debut before the release of Eighth Edition, the foil alternate art Disenchant was eventually released in July 2003 to fill the gap."

If you think, this text is missing something, just let me know, and I will add it accordingly.

Ralph, my apology then.  Once read, I seldom go back and re-ead everything here.
IP Logged

mintcollector

Expert Champion

View Profile WWW

« Reply #8 on: Jul 27th, 2004, 11:17pm »

on Jul 27th, 2004, 10:59pm, rick21n wrote:
I had also heard that the Crystalline Slivers were given out at US Nationals to judges and staff (maybe even more).  No first hand knowledge unfortunately.

As van8888 pointed out, if this card was indeed released as a judge prize more would be public.  This is not the case.
IP Logged

rick21n

Ornithopter Collector

rick21n
View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Jul 28th, 2004, 12:50am »

on Jul 27th, 2004, 11:17pm, mintcollector wrote:

As van8888 pointed out, if this card was indeed released as a judge prize more would be public.  This is not the case.

Yes but the 50 given out at US Nationals wouldn't really change the market all that much.  I know I saw an auction or two that mentioned it as well as somebody here mentioning something quite similar.

IP Logged
Celebrindor

View Profile WWW

« Reply #10 on: Jul 28th, 2004, 1:01am »

either way, if anyone has one, i'll buy it for quite a lot.
IP Logged

bdrago

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Jul 28th, 2004, 3:08am »

I've been a judge at US Nationals for the last three years, and there were not Crystalline Slivers distributed.
IP Logged
victorcamp

Ad Astra

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Jul 28th, 2004, 5:02am »

OK, yes, I was one of those lucky enough to get it early on through eBay at a very reasonable price. Though I could certainly use the money right now, I can't really sell it in good conscience knowing it will probably be released some day and its value will plummet. Also, as a collector, I seem to be almost pathologically unable to let my stuff go. (Ask my brother, who helped me move last fall! Roll Eyes )
IP Logged
mintcollector

Expert Champion

View Profile WWW

« Reply #13 on: Jul 28th, 2004, 3:10pm »

on Jul 28th, 2004, 3:08am, bdrago wrote:
I've been a judge at US Nationals for the last three years, and there were not Crystalline Slivers distributed.

Thanks, I was hoping someone here could speak on this subject for, or against so it could be verified.  
IP Logged

dragsamou

Help Me Finish My Magic Rarities Collection

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Jul 28th, 2004, 6:44pm »

on Jul 28th, 2004, 5:02am, victorcamp wrote:
OK, yes, I was one of those lucky enough to get it early on through eBay at a very reasonable price. Though I could certainly use the money right now, I can't really sell it in good conscience knowing it will probably be released some day and its value will plummet. Also, as a collector, I seem to be almost pathologically unable to let my stuff go. (Ask my brother, who helped me move last fall! Roll Eyes )

Hi Victor.
I need an Extra One,your price will be mine  Wink
IP Logged

http://magiclibrary.net/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=trading-promos;action=display;num=1107104379
http://magiclibrary.net/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=trading-promos;action=display;num=1107106308
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Magic Library Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.