Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 12th, 2006, 1:07am

Magic LibraryMagic Library HomeHome HelpHelp SearchSearch LoginLogin RegisterRegister NotificationNotification
Magic Library Forum « Thinking of Starting Summer Magic Set »

Magic Library Forum
   Archive (no new threads please)
   Item Value and Availability
(Moderators: Ralph Herold, l0qii, dragsamou)
   Thinking of Starting Summer Magic Set
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Thinking of Starting Summer Magic Set  (Read 540 times)
stu55

Who would win in a fight? Macgyver or Jason?

StooPSKoo15
View Profile

Thinking of Starting Summer Magic Set
« on: Aug 19th, 2004, 5:40am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Ok, some questions:

1) Basic price of Land, Commons, Uncommons, and Rares I should expect to pay

2) How many sets are possible.

3) Are there any complete sets already?

4) Any other advice some one can offer?

I want to average 100 cards a year for 3 years to finish the set, starting on Jan 1st, 2005 and ending Dec 31st 2008. Let me know about any help.

Thanks!
IP Logged

EX Mtgnews Mod
Muldoon

Swirling Clouds

115180696 115180696    
View Profile

Re: Thinking of Starting Summer Magic Set
« Reply #1 on: Aug 19th, 2004, 5:44am »

1) Land: $20-30, commons ~$25, uncommons $40-60, rares $300+
2) Currently estimating around 15 sets possible.
3) According to some forum member(s?), 5 or 6 sets are currently complete, and in existance.
4) Have a well paid job Wink Full set: nearly $100,000 if bought in singles Wink
IP Logged

Collecting Dragon Whelps! A/FBB/FWB/Summer/Alt4th/IE/Test/Misprinted wanted!
Celebrindor

328665940 328665940   van8888   van88888888
View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: Aug 19th, 2004, 5:45am »

1.)  Lands go for around 20-30, same for commons.  Uncommons can go for around 50-100, and rares for several hundred.  Also, good commons (Llanowar Elves, for example, also go for over $100)

2.)  We think (we don't know) anywhere between 7-15, or so (correct me if wrong, guys)

3.)  Two, I believe

4.)  Advice: hmmm...  be prepared to spend A LOT.  I am also looking to make a set, and on my current budget, cannot aford most of the cards.  Also, talk to the summer collectors on the site, they might have extras (wish I'd thought of that for my set Grin Grin)
IP Logged

As of the 21st, i've been here for 1 year! yay!
Celebrindor

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: Aug 19th, 2004, 5:46am »

at least we are in agreement, Muldoon!   Grin Grin Grin Grin
IP Logged

hammr7

Hero in my own mind!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Aug 19th, 2004, 5:47am »

Is this really news?  Or would it be better placed in the trading or off-topic forum threads?
IP Logged

Where have all the Magic sticker sets gone?
Celebrindor

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: Aug 19th, 2004, 5:49am »

I think probably off-topic.  After all, people have bugged me so many times about this  Wink
IP Logged

jamesbond

French Power!!!!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Aug 19th, 2004, 9:56am »

1) basic land : 25$, commons 65 between 20 and 50, 10 near or over than 100$ (ligtning bolt llanowar elves prodigal sorcerer dark ritual skeletons....), uncommuns, between 50 and 2000$ i think (like huricane, serra angel...), rares between 300$ and 4000$.

2) i think that 2 or 3 complete set are possible but maybe not in the next 3 years...

3) yes they are already complete sets, 3 is a minimum, but probably 5 or a little more

4)if you really want a complete set in 3 years, you MUST buy near all rares you see not depending of the price (but not too much too). they is a point where i don't agree Muldoon, i think a complete set should cost more than 100 000$, near than 150 000$ remeber that they are 110 rares with dual lands, birds, wrath, armagueddon serendib efreet (with the good color).....

good luck to do it, i think it's a real challenge  Wink
IP Logged
Erl00

MINT is MINT!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: Aug 19th, 2004, 10:18am »

1) Prices have significantly increased recently ....  
Basic Lands: $25-30, easy to get.  
Commons: $20-50 for most of them, $80-250 for the best ones. With strong motivation, a full common set could be put together in a year and a half
Uncommons: from $40-60 for the crappy ones, to $300-600 for cards such as StP, Counterspell, Hypnotic, etc. and $1200-2500 for the Tutor, Serra and Hurricane.
I'm screening eBay everyday for Summer Magic since about 3 years and I yet have to see some uncos.
Rares: between $300 and $6,500 (Serendib). Each of them is a real Challenge to find.

2) A little bit more than 10 sets I think

3) Yes, I only know of one. But I know other pretty large collections.

4) Advice? Build very very good connections to find the Summer cards that don't surface on eBay and do NOT miss ANY opportunity, especially for the rares. When you find one, you can't know if you'll ever find another copy.
IP Logged

Please help me finish my Boosters collection
Ralph Herold
Administrator

View Profile WWW

« Reply #8 on: Aug 19th, 2004, 12:54pm »

stu55: I do not wish to sound too negative, but your chances to collect a full set are next to none. Even with all the money in the world at your disposal, you have to actually find the cards and convince their owners to let them go. And this is sometimes impossible, as some people, especially rich collectors, do not give their cards away, period. If you really wish to collect these cards, my advise will be to find somebody who already has about half a set and start from there.
IP Logged
fvzappa

A T1 junkie.

keith+fvzappa
View Profile WWW

« Reply #9 on: Aug 19th, 2004, 7:47pm »

It's borderline crazy at this point. Over 300 cards, each one a pain to find. Let's do some math, shall we?

100ish commons, averaging about $40= $4,000
100ish uncommons, averaging about $120 (remember, three cards alone throw off that average)=$12,000
100ish rares, averaging $600=$60,000

These estimates are LOW, believe me. As someone who is crazy enough to collect these, I can tell you it is frustrating. EVERYONE seems to think they can do it, but I know of no one who has completed a set in the past 4 years. Five, to my knowledge, exist.

Open up your wallet, & never pass up a rare you see.

Find a different set to complete. For instance, I am going for a complete set of Ice Age & Alliances miscuts. It's a pain, but it is more unique, & people are a bit more cooperative in getting rid of theirs, since I am the only one I've ever heard of doing this.
IP Logged

What's the ugliest part of your body? Your MIND.
My ebay auctions: http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZtheblacklotusQ2acom
My misprints one added weekly: http://fvzappa.photosite.com
Celebrindor

View Profile WWW

« Reply #10 on: Aug 19th, 2004, 7:51pm »

My budget puts most of the rares out my reach for the time being, but as I said in a previous post, if it takes 20 years, I will finish a set!

...and yes, I am crazy - I admit it  Cheesy
IP Logged

Muldoon

Swirling Clouds

115180696 115180696    
View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Aug 19th, 2004, 8:11pm »

I'm happy enough if i finish my "set" of summer Mark Poole cards, and get Shocked 9 Shocked dragon whelps Wink
Ralph is probably correct though, it's not really going to work out getting the complete set without a good deal of luck, and buying other people's collections.
The past half year or so that I've been monitoring summer magic sales, I've seen perhaps 30-35 rares, ~50 uncommons, and most commons. And that's with a $20-$30k price tag Wink
If you win the lottery, go for it, if you want to get it complete without spending more than a few hundred bucks a month, forget it  Lips Sealed
IP Logged

Collecting Dragon Whelps! A/FBB/FWB/Summer/Alt4th/IE/Test/Misprinted wanted!
Celebrindor

View Profile WWW

« Reply #12 on: Aug 19th, 2004, 8:13pm »

Well, I'm still in college, so I'll have a lot more money in a few years.......
IP Logged

psrex

psrex1  
View Profile WWW

« Reply #13 on: Aug 19th, 2004, 8:23pm »

Hah, hah, hah!!!  That's what I thought too at one time, but getting married, buying a house and having kids changes that.  It turns out that I would have been much better off trading and buying Magic when I was in college.

Now I think that I'll have the money to seriously collect Magic when I retire.  Until then I'll keep buying and selling collections and keep what's interesting out of that.
IP Logged

Looking for World Championship decks and Vanguard cards. MOTL H/W list
mintcollector

Expert Champion

View Profile WWW

« Reply #14 on: Aug 19th, 2004, 11:21pm »

on Aug 19th, 2004, 8:23pm, psrex wrote:
Hah, hah, hah!!!  That's what I thought too at one time, but getting married, buying a house and having kids changes that.  It turns out that I would have been much better off trading and buying Magic when I was in college.

Now I think that I'll have the money to seriously collect Magic when I retire.  Until then I'll keep buying and selling collections and keep what's interesting out of that.

Well you have money until you get married, buy a house, and have kids.  That is when I bought most of my cards.  Having a only a few left to get after I was married allowed me to persuade the wife.
IP Logged

See my current needs here: http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/mintcollector/
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Magic Library Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.